Alex usually makes baking and cooking nearly impossible for me. It's not his fault really. He just wants to see everything and "help." I have tried various tactics to get him away from doing things like hanging on for dear life to my legs and crying as I try to make a meal, squeezing himself between me and the counter or stove and pushing me away from what I am doing with all his little toddler might while making, "I'm very upset at you mommy," sounds, or just walking around wailing until eventually I have ignored him long enough that he gives up and sucks his thumb. I have tried to distract him with signing time . . . doesn't work anymore. I have tried putting him in his high chair with food . . . still works, but if I am making dinner, then he won't eat dinner. I have also tried lifting him up occasionally so that he can see what I am doing . . . works, but too hard. :o) Well, this day was different, I decided to be creative and brave. I decided to be a "fun" mommy. Alex became Chef Alex. He got to wear daddy's apron (all folded to fit him just right) pour everything I measured into the bowl, and then use the measuring spoons to scoop dry things (flour) from one full bowl to an empty one (that was disasterous, but he was happy). Here are our results. I think he'll make a fine chef one day. Since he loves tobe up there "helping" so much, maybe I can even train him to take over all the cooking by the time he is 5 years old!?
It took a little (ok, more than a little) guidance, but he did pretty well. Notice how clean the counter and chair were at the beginning. I'll just say it wasn't even close to that clean in the end. But worth it?? YES!!
He wouldn't take his eyes off that bowl. "Uh, Uh momma, you are NOT taking this bowl away from me." One step into it, and you'll already notice a pool of flour around his foot.
All done! "But, momma, I don't WANNA be ALL DONE!!!." :o(

We have done this again since then, but due to the nature of the food I was cooking the next time, we improvised. He still got to wear the cool apron and stand on the chair, but this time I gave him two bowls and two measuring cups. One bowl was halfway full of dry rice. He spooned it into the empty bowl. Rice. Everywhere. We'll do dry beans next time.
15 comments:
I can just imagine how sad he is about the fun cooking ending. I am so glad that it is sort of working with him. At least he is happy, right. He is so cute in his little apron.
I couldn't help but giggle at the beginning of your post. Eli does the exact same thing, except he doesn't give up... I'm glad that he wants to learn.
Way to go Alex (and Heidi!! It would have been fun to se him participate.
Dad
so funny! I go through the same thing. Ally is still happy to sit and watch but Laney MUST be involved. She's old enough now that she does pretty well but we definitley had our messy times. Isn't it funny how the messy stuff is always what makes them the happiest? Must be a patience builder for parents?? Luckily we have dogs that help with the clean up!
Love ya!
Lindsey
This is identical to my life when it comes to cooking dinner! Especially the part where they try to push you away from the counter with all their might. What a good mom you are. I should try to let Isaac participate more but it just seems too hard. I need better planning and more patience.
oooh, I like the dry beans idea...we'll have to do that one. You are a GREAT mommy, and although it takes more time and patience, I'd have to agree that it's WELL worth it to make them feel important and like special helpers rather than listen to them scream for 45 min.
Justin now brings the chair into the kitchen and uses the measuring cups to pour water from one bowl in the sink to another. He also thinks he is cooking in the toaster oven (unplugged) as he puts all the spoons and measuring cups into the toaster oven, closes the door, opens it up and on and on and on...
That is sooo funny. I had this same conversation/dilemma with myself yesterday. Evan just stands at my legs crying desperate to see what I'm doing. Or he's helping me unload the dishwasher by grabbing all of the knives! They're so funny sometimes. I'm not ready to be the fun mom yet!!!!
Ahhh! Que gracinha ele querendo cozinhar. Se continuar assim vai ser um "chef de cuisine". Suas fotos são muito lindas. Parabéns. Te amo muito.
I can definitely relate to the frustrating dinner time scramble to get something made while keeping the little one's entertained long enough to get a decent meal on the table. But when the patience is there this is so fun! Alex is getting so big and he is so smart! I love the videos from the previous post too, and how he opens his mouth so wide to say "pa pa"! IT's so cute!
I still can't get over walking in your door and seeing Alex wearing that apron, SO CUTE! I should let my Alex try "cooking" too, but I daresay it would be an even bigger mess than that!
Wow. What a great mom! And he is so cute in his apron. I think if he is going to be cooking like a pro by age 5, he needs to come over and impress his fiance and in-laws. We would love to have him come over and try out his gourmet food.
I loved your little poem so much that I added it to mine, I hope you don't mind! hahahahahaha IT'S SO TRUE!
Killer Iowa poem!!! Did you guys write that? I just don't know how you have lived here all your life and actually survived! You are my hero!
First off I LOVE your Brasileiro apron!! you are such a cute mom... He really love to cook by the look on his face when you told him you were done! How fun, thanks for the good idea with Ava in the future. ihad to giggle reading your tactics in the kitchen. I know the feeling of having my legs pulled on all to familiar!
So cute!! I can't beleive what a big boy he is becoming! You are such a great mom to let him be your little helper!! That takes so much patience and that's definitely something I really need to work on these days. Especially if I wanna stay somewhat sane with 3!!! AHH!! What was I thinking!
looks like you have fun at your house. Where did you get that ode to winter poem it is so true.
Post a Comment