Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Valley of the Sun

As promised, a report on our first couple of weeks in the valley of the sun . . . Phoenix, Arizona! The trip here was as uneventful as can be expected with luggage for 9 weeks and two small children in tow. Alex loved the airplane. Rebekah tolerated it. She kept herself busy flirting with everyone who would give her any attention.

We've gotten to know a lot of Phoenix for how short a time we have been here. We really really love it! It helps that the weather has been BEAUTIFUL, the flowers bright, the pool outside our kitchen window clean and cool, and that we have friends and family here to make the adjustment fairly easy. It hasn't been quite so rose colored for Alex. I think he just misses his friends and our bigger house in Iowa where he had room to run. The great thing about a 2 year old though is that he is pretty easily distracted by the children's museum that is 5 minutes away, the huge-o-mongous library that is also 5 minutes away, and of course the pool outside our kitchen window.

First . . . the reason we are here this summer . . . the clerkship. Joseph is loving his work at the firm so far and he especially enjoys the great people he works with. Here he is leaving for his first day. Isn't he handsome?! :) I am so proud of him for how hard he is working and balancing his summer work, law review, church stuff and family. He is such an example to me of taking on hard things with courage. I love you honey!
This is outside the building where his firm is. You can see the name on the wall if you look really closely. That is what I was going for, but you can't really read it that well. The building is gorgeous and so is the area around it.
This is the area behind the building. It is so nice. We just had some family pictures taken here that I will share with you when they come in. I think it is so pretty . . . the picture doesn't do it justice. Behind this area is an outdoor shopping/restaurant area that is super cool.
Our first Friday here, we met my college chum Amber and her hubby for dinner downtown by J's work. It is SO fun to live close to her. I love this chica! You can't ever move away Amber! I don't know what I would do without her. She has gotten me un-lost while driving around the Phoeniz area, and taken care of my kids, and fed us dinner, and and and and . . .
And this is why Amber can't ever move away. Our children are in love. See they are already arm in arm. I have gotten to babysit Harrison a few times since we have been here. He is SUCH a cute little guy! Look at those eyes!
And this is where we spend a lot of our time! The Pool! Alex is our little fishy. There is nothing he loves better than swimming with Daddy after work and he has learned so much just in the few short weeks we have been here.
Rebekah loves it too, though you can't really tell by the look on her face. :)
Last, I just had to show this picture . . . Alex has been a little finicky about his naps since we have been here, so if he won't nap, then he has to have quiet time and has to sit and do quiet things for as long as Rebekah naps. Today he seriously did this for almost 2 hours and was soooooo good the entire time, and then I looked over and he had fallen asleep. I guess he isn't quite ready to give up that nap. Thank heavens!

9 comments:

Tawnya said...

I am glad you like it there...but we miss you! Rebekah is so cute with that little boy. And cute swimming pictures...still...come back soon!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are loving AZ so far!! I think you guys brought the awesome weather because it just seems a little too nice for june, but hey I'll take it!!!

Sarah said...

We miss you guys! It looks like you're having fun, though. You're wonderful!

Matt and Valerie said...

Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time so far. Sure love and miss you tons. By the way, I can't believe how much Rebekah looks like Alex as a baby, same eyes totally! You sure make cute kids.

Aggieland Mom said...

Glad to finally have an update! I love the falling asleep picture. We miss you guys!

Heather O'Brien said...

HEIDI!!! LOVE the hair! You are a hot mama! It looks so pretty there! I'm glad that the adjustment is going good for you guys. Alex is adorable. I made Aaron come look at that darling picture of him sleeping. so cute. Miss you tons! I keep going to RS here and thinking of you. I should just tell them how you would run the show :). It's pretty comical here. Give your kids a big hug for me.

Sheila said...

Wow Heidi, you sound really happy! I'm so glad that things are going to smooth for you. That picture of you and Amber is SO CUTE! I can't get over it. We're doing what we always wanted to do together, raise our kids together!! It's so fun! I can't WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!

Kari said...

Love this post! I am so glad to hear you guys are doing so well and loving your new home for the summer! I love that pictures of Harrison and Rebekah together! Can't wait to see you in less than a month!!

Angela said...

It's so good that you guys are enjoying it there! Most people would be complaining about the heat by now, so it must not get to you that much. Also, Ashlee told me she took your pictures and I'm excited to see how they turned out!! How long are you guys going to be there. I really hope we can make it out before you leave, but that's probably not going to happen huh?
And thank goodness for naps and little kids that will do quiet time when they think they're too big or not tired enough for a nap. This is what Kayla does while Shawn sleeps, but I'm not too sure if Shawn will be as good about it when he starts thinking he doesn't need naps. So good boy Alex!! =)