Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saga

In case you have been wondering where we have been lately. Moving to DC. That's where. We are here now and everything has FINALLY started to look up, but in case you are wondering how the move went . . . well, to be honest . . . not good. There have been many moments where I have thought, "Are we just not supposed to be here or what?!" BUT, feel free to read this timeline of our move to DC and laugh at our expense. We do. Enjoy.

3 Months Ago (May): Our AC in our Dodge Caravan went out.
I took it right in.

Over 2 Months Later OR 4 Days before the big move to DC (July 17th): We traded the Caravan in for a different van, which made our monthly payment higher . . . because the PART never came and I was not about to travel for two days in 100 degree weather with three kids under 4.

1 Day before the big move: Went to pick up the moving truck and I was told my license had been expired for 8 months!! UM, EXCUSE ME? Seriously? I got it at the same time Joseph got his and his didn't expire until 2012. I think the DMV made a mistake. I had to renew it before we left so as not to get arrested, so to the DMV I went to wait for 1 1/2 hours because right after I got there, ALL the computers went out.
12 hours before the big move: Began packing the Penske Truck. Quickly realized the truck we got was wayyyyy too small. We had to give away many many things, including our loveseat, our play kitchen, our bikes, our trampoline, our changing table, and several other things that I can't remember now.
30 minutes before the big move: I lost my keys.
15 minutes after the big move time: I found my keys.
2nd day of travel after a stop for a day in Columbus with my sister (July 23rd): Dad lost the truck keys at McDonalds during our lunch stop. He found them after about 30 minutes. Phew.
2nd day of travel continued: Alex and Rebekah came down with bad nasty colds.
Unload the truck day (July 24th): Hottest day of the year in DC!! 110, plus sickening humidity.
We got to the apartment which we leased sight unseen except for deceiving pictures. The townhome was up on a steep hill with no direct access to the parking lot, making it not easy AT ALL to load things into, or to haul 3 small children in and out of when I run errands. Oh yeah, and I did I mention the place was dirty, dusty, and the owners had taken the blinds from the kids rooms? Anyway, after making many men in my family and in our new ward sweat like I've never seen before, we got it all in the town home. Some things broken and damaged, but in just the same.

Unload the Truck Day (Later in the day): My sister, Mom, and Dad, came down from Glen Burnie to help me unpack the neccesaties, and we needed to run to a grocery store to get milk for our breakfast the next morning. Since the internet guy was 5 HOURS late getting our internet set up that day (he showed up at 9:30 pm), we had to ask our neighbors. Unfortunately none of them spoke good english (most none at all), so we just tried to make due with what we thought they might have said, and went for it. My Dad got lost on his way back, but thanks to my trusty GPS in my van, he made it home. :)
July 25th (day after move in): Me, Mom, and Dad came down with terrible head colds. I went to church any way with my 3 kids. Wow. What an introduction to the ward as I carried Kaitlyn and Rebekah crying out of sacrament. :) That afternoon while I was at my sister's house, we had a huge storm with 60 mph winds that caused trees to fall down everywhere, several of which fell ON the power center for Silver Spring. I didn't know about it and got my kids all ready for bed at my sister's house, so they would fall asleep on the way home, put them in the car and began to drive back to our apartment. I checked my phone messages on the way and there was one from my new EQP saying the power in most of Silver Spring was out. I took a chance and went home anyway, since the kids were already sleeping and I had nothing to stay at my sister's house with. We got home after being stuck in traffic (this seems to be the story of our future life here in the east), and sure enough. NO POWER ANYWHERE. So, since all of my kids were asleep, I picked up Kaitlyn in one arm, Rebekah in the other arm, and got Alex on my back, and walked hunched over so as to keep Alex secure on my back up the steep hill to my town home. Alex woke up and started crying because it was hurting his arms to hold on, but he didn't have shoes on so he didn't want to walk. By the time we got inside our house it was dark, so I set he and Rebekah down in the apartment, both of them started balling and saying "We need light. Turn on the lights!" I quickly hunted down a flashlight (good thing I pack in an organized way, so I knew which box it was in) and took them all upstairs to the PIPING HOT bedrooms (it was 105 that day) and layed Kaitlyn down who started screaming (she doesn't handle heat well), layed Rebekah down who promptly fell back asleep (tender mercy). I then left the girls in their room (Kaitlyn still crying) and got Alex settled downstairs on the couch because his room was too hot to sleep in. I also found some candles and our matches and lit those for Alex while I went upstairs and got Kaitlyn and rocked her to sleep while both of us were sweating all over each other. I got her laid down to bed at about 10:30 pm. Alex finally fell asleep at 11 pm. Then, I finally fell asleep at around 1 am on some couch back cushions I put on the floor by Alex. I was too worried about the girls dying of heatstroke up in their room to sleep. After sleeping fitully on a couple of back couch cushions for 2 hours or so, I finally went upstairs to sleep on my bed. I think I fell back asleep right away, but then at 3:30 am, the house alarm went off. My phone was dead by now by the way, with no way to charge it. I do not have a car charger. So, then I spent 45 minutes searching the house with a huge maglight flashlight (to hit someone with) and a candle (to see with). No one was there, so I prayed again (for the 10th time) and went to sleep. The workers trying to restore power must have tripped the security system or something. All the kids woke up at 6 am, and we started our day. My phone was really dead by then, but somehow I managed to save enough battery to call my parents who were staying at my sister's house and ask them to come get the kids so they could be in a cooler place. Especially since they were all sick and miserable in the heat. The problem is that my sister has a daycare in her house with 7 kids, so add my three and there are 10 kids. But, they were willing, so that I could try to get something done and so my kids wouldn't be miserable. I have angels in my family. Oh yeah, so anyway, my phone died died died nothing left in the middle of my call with dad, so I had no idea when they were coming or if they heard me say to bring ice for my food in the fridge, since ALL the ice here was sold out. Being that I had no phone, no internet, no phone numbers for people in my ward, except my EQP, but my phone was dead, so I couldn't get to his number, and none of my neighbors speak English so I couldn't ask them. Um, I thought we moved to DC, not Mexico or Korea!! Not that I don't like these people. They are very nice actually, it would just be nice if we could understand one another. Anyway, so, my parents got here at about 11 am and took the kids. They did not hear the part about getting ice there, so they took all my stuff in an empty cooler back to Kim's house and got ice by her house. I needed to run errands, but had no way of doing so, because I knew where nothing was and had no way of finding out, since I still had no power and no english speaking neighbors. So, I decided to unpack. By 3 pm, I was about to faint from the heat upstairs where I was unpacking, and I realized I needed to leave to miss traffic on the beltway. So, I scrambled and threw some stuff into my suitcase for us to stay at my sisters and grabbed everything else from my fridge to take, and ran to my sister's car which my parents had left for me to drive back. I got on the freeway by about 15 minutes to 4 pm. There was already traffic on the 495, but the 95, the 101, and the 97 were clear. I finally got off the exit from 97 onto Quarterfield Road (about 5 minutes from my sister's house) and I got rear-ended!! Seriously?! My face smacked the stearing wheel, but not much damage was done to the car and the pain in my face went away after awhile.

27th of July, I woke up, got ready, went out to my car to run errands and lo and behold . . . someone egged my van. It was so stuck on the van from the heat that it took the guy at the car wash like 10 minutes on one spot. Thanks Jerk who threw the eggs. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 28th and nothing bad happened today. I ran errands with all three of my kids, which I realized isn't really possible here because at the Target, they don't even allow you to take your cart to your car, so if I want to buy more than one bad worth of stuff to take home (which I always do there since it is where I go for huge boxes of diapers) then I can't because I have to carry my baby, my stuff, etc. Also, the only time I can drive anywhere without it taking an hour is between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm. Every other time there will be traffic either on the way or on the way back. Also, if I want to eat at a fast food restaurant, I must learn Spanish.

Thursday, July 29th: Joseph gets home today!!!! Things were going well. Power went out again at 3 pm and was out until about 9:30 pm.

Now, today is the 31st of July. Joseph has been home for two days (a very very happy reunion). We are done unpacking except for hanging pictures and running some errands. Such a good feeling. I thought I wouldn't live to see this day. Now, after we fly to Utah for a reunion and a wedding, maybe someday I will catch up enough to post some pics, but for now . . . Tchau!

21 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh Heidi!!!! I am totally feeling so bad for you I want to cry, but at the same time i can't stop laughing that you actually have had THAT MUCH bad luck, that is so horrible! I hope it gets better from here. I had lots of crying days when we moved to DC because everything was big, new, expensive, and different, and nothing seemed to be working out for us. Luckily, it got better. We got to see sights, meet great people, have a great time. The bad part is: I never once didn't get lost if I wasn't going to the grocery store, work, or church. For a full year I couldn't even get to Walmart (45 minutes away) without getting lost. And the traffic: ewwwww. You will never complain about traffic again after you move from DC. I wish I could be there to help you. Instead, I'll just say I love you and will miss you! Give DC a kiss for me, it really is a gem, it just has lots of gunk in the way until you can get things settled...

Unknown said...

HEIDI!!! I HAVE FRIENDS THERE WHO WILL HELP YOU!!! Please call Alissa if you need something-ANYTHING!!! She's not that far away! Or call me and I will--that's horrid!! I'm so sorry!!! I'm sure you handled it all wonderfully and I'm so happy that Joseph is back now and you're not trapped all alone in the heat with all of the non-english speakers! I love love love DC but I did get lost for at least a year too when I lived there--and when we we were in the district we were definitely the only white girls for miles...and the traffic can be so bad. Although drivers aren't nearly as bad as AZ (so count your blessings). It will get better--I promise!! I LOVE YOU!!! I know you will be blessed for all of your hard work and hardship!!

Sarah said...

Wow, Supermom!!! Carried 3 kids uphill asleep?! That seriously deserves a badge or something. Wow. I'm sorry your start has been so hard! I'm very grateful now for air conditioning! We love you so much!
Sarah

Katherine said...

Oh Wow!! I am so sorry about ALL of that! How frustrating about your car, seriously! and the losing keys and the power going out and everything. You amaze me though seriously. On a happier note... I love the picture at the top of your blog, and I love you and your family and I want to be your neighbor.

Christina said...

While some of those things (humidity, traffic, getting lost, not a lot of native English speakers--although coming from Iowa I think just about anyplace would feel that way!) are going to be staples of your existence for the next year, at least the rest of it ought to go away!

brandandbrit said...

Heidi! That sounds absolutely miserable! I can't believe that you had to go through all of that. I hope things are a bit better now for you and I'm glad that Joseph is there with you.

Kari said...

Oh my gosh Heidi!! I seriously want to cry for you!! How awful that you had to go through all that ...and without a husband!! UGH! You seriously are amazing and I am praying for you that things get better and nothing else goes so terribly wrong! Love and miss you tons!!

Aggieland Mom said...

Well you've already heard my thoughts on the commentary above, so I won't freak out again... but seeing it all written out like that it's almost like, really? Is this a comedy (or horror)movie you're describing? Heidi, I've been praying for you every single day and I'm so glad Joseph is there now. The way you've described DC is exactly how I remember the East... it'll become easier. It's a good thing you have a GPS (I didn't know that, btw). I love you and I miss you so so so so much... and not just because I forgot something from the store today. haha Love you!

Erin said...

I know I always say this, but you are Super Woman. I wish I had some of what you are made of in me! I hope things get better and better for you guys.

Deanna said...

That reads like a slap-sticky Ben Stiller movie. No way did that much bad stuff happen in such a short period! (well, that's what I thought when I watched "Meet the Parents") I'm sorry for your very rough beginning... But, I am so impressed that you and your family survived. Carrying 3 sleeping babies is a little mind-blowing. I hope that your very rough beginning means that you are home-free for a life of ease for the next year. :)

nathan n rachel said...

Oh Heidi--I'm so sorry. I HATE MOVING! It's the worst in the world. And whoever egged your car is a total jerk.

Charla and Jarom said...

You deserve mother of the year award :) That is INSANE! Hopefully things start looking up for you guys! I bet AZ is looking pretty good right about now huh? :)

Charla and Jarom said...

And, BTW, what does Target not let you take your shopping carts to the car????? I've never heard of something so crazy!

Edwards Family said...

Oh, Heidi you have had quite the adventure. I cannot believe that all that has happened to you in such a short time. You've been through so much. This story will definitely go down in history. I still cannot wrap my mind into how you carried 3 kids asleep! You are amazing! Hope things get better soon and that you enjoy living in DC.

Joe'n'Jess said...

joe and i both agree that this is probably the worst story we've ever heard. bless you for getting through it without murdering someone.

Joe'n'Jess said...

joe and i both agree that this is probably the worst story we've ever heard. bless you for getting through it without murdering someone.

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh Heidi...holy cow this is seriously way too much for any one person to handle in a YEAR let alone a week span. (or less, I think it was less...) anyways, Jeff and I did get a laugh from this, but it was not a funny laugh at all! It was a shocked I can't believe this is even happening to one single person laugh. I guess it's final. Jeff and I will have to come out there and I can have him show you the ropes to DC. Although, I have to say, it sounds like you just about have it all figured out. Jeff and I agree, shopping in DC with kids alone by yourself is def. not something to do ever again. He said they don't let you bring your carts to your car b/c of the bums!! I hope that this year flys by for you and that you guys can somehow make it all work. I know you will, especially b/c you are somehow finding a way to laugh through all this (now) at least!! LOVE YOU!! and we are SO SORRY! XOXOXOXO

Angela said...

Ok, this totally made me laugh because I think I felt all of those same things when I was in DC! Why the heck don't they let you take your cart out, where are the English speakers (not even speaking Spanish helps!), why is there traffic EVERYWHERE at 3:30, and has anyone ever seen so many townhomes with such difficult access!! Fortunately those things start to feel a little normal after a while and it's just life. I hope you get through it all with a laugh and a smile! =) I'm in UTAH! I hope we can connect!! I got your number from Sheila so I'll try and call you. My number is 702-416-0746. I'm not sure if you'll even look at this until you get back, but just in case. =)

Andrea said...

Oh my heavens! My heart so goes out to you. Packing and moving (without all those other things you went through) are more than enough for me! I'm so sorry you had such a rough week and I sincerely hope things get better for you! Good thing Joe is there now!

Cassie said...

Hello Miller family! This is Cassie (from Law Review). I was just trying to figure out the best way to contact you and remembered that Joseph sent us a link to your blog when beautiful Kaitlyn was born. So, while it's not the most traditional way, I'm leaving this comment in hopes that you will see it.

Drew and I are getting ready to send out wedding invitations and we need a new address for you. I read the story of your bumpy journey out east and so I believe that you've made it to D.C. If you get a chance, could you send me your new address? My email is still cassie-peterson@uiowa.edu.

Thanks so much, and good luck with your new adventure!

Cassie

Mallory Stoker said...

Okay this story makes me want to cry for you and for me. Brandon got a job in DC so we are moving there next week! Hopefully two people can't have that much bad luck right? I hope things are looking better for you.