We were only a month late, but we finally were able to celebrate our 5th Anniversary. In some ways these 5 years seem to have flown by, but in others it seems like we have been together much longer than that. Thank you my lovely wonderful sister Kim for making it possible for us to have a fun filled day ALL to ourselves (even if you did teach Alex to swear) :) Just kidding!!!! We got to talk without being interrupted by screams and shrieks. We got to walk slowly and hold hands. We got to stop and read and learn things at the museums. We got to eat while our food was hot. I repeat . . . we got to eat while our food was hot. That was the highlight of the day. :) Here are some photos.
 |
| We had just finished going through the National Archives (this is where they have the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and various other historical documents, etc). It was so inspiring to see all of these items and read more about how the documents were found, etc. Definitely one of the coolest things I have seen in DC so far. You can't take pictures in there, in case you were wondering. Here we are sitting on a bench near the Washington Monument having a Lemon Ice thingy. |
 |
| And you also can't take pictures in the Holocaust Museum, which is where we had just came from in this photo. I have always had a big place in my heart for learning about the Holocaust, so when Joseph and I decided we would each choose one place we wanted to go today, he was not surprised when I chose this place. He chose the archives. This was a very touching place to go. Overwhelming to say the least, but every time I read a holocaust book or see a memorial etc, I have this sense of love and compassion that is ignited in me and it makes me want to serve others more deeply. Anyway, here we are in front of the Washington Memorial. |
 |
| And on our way over to the restaurant, we made a quick stop to see the white house. If you look closely you can see two snipers on top of it. I thought that was so cool. |
 |
| Anyone know if they do tours of the White House? Or do you have to be special to do that sort of thing? |
 |
Our last and most delicious stop of the day was Fogo de Chao Churrascaria (A Brasilian Steakhouse). A couple of members took us to these when I served my mission in Brasil, but in the US they are either not very authentic or way too expensive for a normal date night. We always set aside a little extra for anniversaries, so we splurged and went. It was SO worth it. I was in my element and had the time of my life. Joseph dubbed it "the best meat he has ever tasted." I had so much fun talking to the Gauchos (Brazilian Cowboys) in Portuguese and eating some seriously authentically prepared meats, breads, sides, and of course Pudim! Pudim is basically Brasilian style flan, but I do not like flan. I LOVE pudim! Heaven on earth. Pictured above is one of the Gauchos. I think he is holding Cordeiro (lamb). Oh. Do you like my tye die skirt? :) I got this in Brasil when I was there. I just had to wear it tonight. :)
After this, we took our sweet time walking back to J's Courthouse where we parked and then headed to my sisters house to pick up the kiddos. It's amazing how distance really does make the heart grow fonder. I have had so much more love and patience for them in the last 24 hours. Dates are important. Go on one with your spouse! :) |
10 comments:
Happy Anniversary. Talk to your congressmen! They have the ability to give you tickets for tours of the capital and the white house. I'd go for Iowa's (call their offices, talk to their secretaries, and explain your roots, and that you're just living in DC for a year...). I never got to do the White House (or the Archives!) so take advantage of seeing everything you can in that year!
Did you cry reading the ronald reagan "tear down this wall" speech at the national archives?? I TOTALY did--it is awesome. That sounds like a great day--I'm so glad you're taking advantage of your time out there!!! I can't wait to see you---and...two words for you Heidi, BABYSITTING SWAP!!!!! LOVE YOU!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Viva pudim! Tao gostoso! :)
Happy Anniversary you two. Miss you.
I still remember your wedding reception. Happy Anniversary! I couldn't agree more about dates. They keep mommies sane!
Dude---totally take Amber up on the babysitting swap! You're totally lucking out, 3 for 1---I'll take it!! LOL
Anyways, Happy Anniversary late and you both look so happy in love. Dates really are the best, and you hit on ALL the reasons. My favorite even above eating HOT food is talking without interruption, screams, thoughts of potty or another "he hit me" blah blah blah....SO GREAT to just hold hands, walk around and enjoy something TOGETHER!! Sounds like a wonderful day. Oh, and I'm pretty positive that Jeff said they do tours of the White House. I'm pretty positive they cost, but I think you can do it. Ang or Amber might know more. LOVE YOU!
Happy Anniversary! 5 years! You guys are just babies :) That sounds like a great anniversary date o fun!
You are such a hottie in all these pics!!! Love and miss you!!!
Yay! Happy Anniversary!! So glad you guys got to enjoy a day together without the distractions of kids. I swear dates with my hubby make me a better mom!! Looks like so much fun all the neat places you guys went to. Miss you Heidi! So glad I got to talk you tonight!!!
Hi Joseph and Heidi! It looks like things are going well in DC! I am coming to DC the 19th-21st of October for meetings. I'd love to find a time to meet up to say hi if you are free. Send me an email if you are going to be around. mthiel14@gmail.com
As for the White House tour, definitely talk to your Senator or Congressman. I interned for Senator Grassley during college and we were able to get a tour of the White House. I also got to give the tours of the Capital when I was an intern - much better to go through your Senator than to take the regular public tour. Just an FYI on that!
Megan
Post a Comment