Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Belated Updates on Alex

I, obviously, am behind on life. Soooo, going back to January....

Alex learned how to ride a two wheel bike! He approached Joseph in early January and said, "Dad, can you teach me how to ride on two wheels?" That weekend they went out and Alex took right off right away. He was ready ready ready. The following Monday, we met up with Jarom and Charla and went to a church parking lot to ride bikes. It was only Alex's second day on two wheels and with a little help from Uncle Jarom, he learned how to take off and stop on his own! He is one proud boy!


On March 10th, Alex lost his first tooth! I've never seen a kid so thrilled! He was eating a corn dog at lunch and said, "Mom, why is there red stuff on my corn dog?" I just glanced at it and didn't really see the extent of it at first and so blew it off by saying, "Oh, its just part of the hot dog." A second later he said mid-chew, "There is something hard in my corn dog." I told him to spit it out and that it must just be some grisle(sp?) or something. It wasn't until Joseph said, "Wait a minute, show me your teeth," that it dawned on me. I looked in the napkin and there it was....his first baby tooth...out of his mouth! We all started laughing and Alex was thrilled! He is growing up way to fast for me. He isn't supposed to be old enough to be losing teeth! Well, apparently he is...he lost the one right next to it two days later. His first two were his front middle bottom teeth. Now one of his front middle upper teeth is loose! Stop growing kid. Stop it!
He's not trying to be scary. He just thought that was the best way to show off his missing tooth. :) That little thing he is holding is a little pillow with a pocket in it. On the front of the pocket is a tooth. It is something they can put their tooth in and place under their pillow for the tooth fairy. Cute. He asked us to ask the tooth fairy to leave his tooth this time instead of taking it because, "it is a special tooth."

On March 19th, Alex had his first official Belt Advancement Test for Taekwon Do. He is now a Yellow Tip Belt. He did great and is looking forward to preparing for his Yellow Belt. We are loving Taekwon Do. It is amazing the way it has helped him and taught him. He loves it and looks forward to it every time we go...and we go three times per week. He is learning so much about life skills and how to have respect and dedication, etc. It is a great program for any kid. 
Before the test with one of his little buddies, Trey. 

He is doing some sort of blocking combination here with the assistant instructor. 

At the end they had all the parents come up and stand with their child while he presented each child with their certificate and their yellow stripe for their belt. He was pretty happy. 
I think this video is hilarious. The instructors here have so much patience with these cute wiggly 4 and 5 year old boys. Alex is on the far end of the video.

They each had to try to break a board. They do not have to break it to receive their yellow tip level. He will have to break it to receive his Yellow Belt though. At the end of the video, you hear one of the boys say, "I saw it bend!" Too cute. I do think that had he been given a third try, he would have broken it. Next time. :)

Way to go Alex! We are so proud of you!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

I felt all proud when he was kicking that board! :o) What a neat program. and COOL helmet Alex! H would Love to ride a bike!!! We need to get her one.

Liesl Joy said...

I can't believe he lost a tooth!! It's good he didn't swallow it! His Tae Kwon Do moves are way cool and I think he is the best five year old bike rider ever!! I hope to see those moves in person soon!!

Sheila said...

I cannot believe he didn't know his tooth was loose!! I swear, Justin has a loose tooth right now and it's like the topic of every dinner conversation...he's soooooo dramatic about it!! AND where did you get that pillow?? Super cute!!!

Stephany said...

What a talented kid! Bike riding, tae kwon do fighting, budding genius is what he is!