I don't know how many of you out there cannot get your kids to eat vegetables, especially green ones, but I am one of those moms who feels terrible everyday because her son isn't getting enough vitamins. Well, as always, my mom has been mixing up miracles at my house.The other day she came for a little day visit and brought with her, her daily Green Drink. This drink looks terrible, tastes pretty darn good, and is FULL of good vitamins and minerals. She was eating it as a slushy, so Alex wanted some since he loves smoothies. I looked at her and said, "Yeah right, I bet he spits it right out." She said, "It's worth a try." HE DEVOURED IT!!! Then, when it was gone, he wanted MORE. My son . . . downing vegetables like they were candy!! Who would have thought he'd love something with spinach, broccoli, and lots of other fresh green veggies?? It just might work for you.
Here's the recipe for those who want to try it: It really is pretty good. The apple juice in it, makes it sweet.
Green Drink
Celery (1 stalk)
Cucumber (1/4 of an average sized one)
Spinach (1 handful)
Broccoli (1 Sprig)
Fresh Parsley (1 small handful)
Sliced Apple (1/2 with skin)
Fresh Ginger (1 quarter size piece)
Baby Carrots (4) (optional)
Apple Juice, or any other sweet juice you might have (8 oz)
*Blend in a blender until runny and mixed well. You can just drink it this way like my mom does and then freeze what you don't drink, but I think it's way better as a slushy.
*Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.
*Take out a few cubes at a time and let them get slushy before serving.
GOOD LUCK!
7 comments:
Absolutely fantastic...I won't even go into the void that is my childrens' experiences with green veggies.
My only comfort...or rationalization I should say, is that they eat other healthy snacks like yogurt, cheese sticks, apples, carrots, etc. But you better believe I'm going to try this!!!
Worth a shot! I don't think I could drink it, though...knowing whats in it. But I'll watch my child eat healthy while i chow down on chips. :)
Ok, I'm totally trying this...for me first and if I'm drinking it then I'm pretty sure Justin will want it too since he is pretty much just a big copier. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna call you right now cause I miss you so you better answer your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, so I am so going to try this too!! Mostly for me and then maybe my kids too!! We'll see ...thanks soooo much for sharing!! I miss you tons and I hope you're feeling well. I can't wait for you to have that little girl!!! By the way...do you have a name picked out?? I wanna know!! Love you tons!
ok, duh...i just saw you posted her name on your blog side...and I LOVE IT!!! That is so cute!!
It sounds gross, but I may try it. Sometimes I feel badly that I am not eating all my leafy greens.
Alrighty Heidi, Justin and I just made it, if nothing else, he had a blast putting all the stuff in the blender!! I tried it not frozen...it's good, not great like you said, but good. I think frozen and slushy it's gonna be a hit. I told Justin that after his nap his yummy green smoothie is going to be ready and he got all jittery and clapped his hands and said, "I really excited mommy!! It's pretty!"
Post a Comment