Monday, August 10, 2009

Latter Day Prophets are #1

Since this is what we heard the entire 29 hour ride back to Iowa, I thought it an appropriate title for my post about our travels from Arizona - home. We took a video of it in the car on the way home, but the sound wasn't great, so I took another one about a week ago. The only prophet he skips is Howard W Hunter. I think it's because it is hard to fit them all in without messing up the tune. Watch. It is so great!

So, Joseph's last day at the firm in Arizona was on a Friday and we left that night and drove through the night to Springville so that I could see my sister Liesl's precious new baby Hazel. We spent a day and a half there and Alex had a lot of fun with his cousins. I hadn't seen my sister since Alex was 2 months old and it was so good to see her again.
Then on Sunday evening we headed for Joseph's sister Lizz's house in Kaysville and spent a day with her as well. It was so fun! Alex and Ava hit it off quickly and we spent some time at Cherry Hill, a water park next to their house. So so great! If there is water, there is no fear. He even did the big fast mat slides with us!
Rebekah's first taste of ice cream at the water park. . . she won't have any again until she is one, but Aunt Lizz was just too convincing. Yummalicious!
Rebekah and Aunt Lizz chillin in the water. Rebekah was sick when we went, but she was a pretty good sport.
You can tell R is out of it from being sick. She had high temperatures the whole time at Lizz's. She loves her brother so much and he is so sweet with her.The dynamic duo. Alex and Ava. He is "reading" to her.
Then on Tuesday morning at about 5 am, we left for the long trek home. We went about 11 hours the first day and got to North Platte, Nebraska and then went the other 7 to 8 hours the next day. I have to say that my kids were angelic! I think they had a spell on them. Aside from singing the entire time, here is how they dealt with their boredom . . . .
This obviously isn't Rebekah in the car. She fell asleep like this sitting up with her Build-a-Bear lamb and Alex's whale while at Lizz's house. The poor girl was so tired. She dealt with her boredom in the car, though, by doing just this . . . sleeping. Well, and babbling and being entertained by her rather creative brother.
As for the little man, he started out pretty calm and cool. Just bored and annoyed that the DVD player wasn't working.
Then he decided to expand his mind and be the navigator for us by thoroughly reading the Atlas.
Towards the end he began to get loopy. Rebekah likes this side of him best.
Joseph and I got pretty loopy ourselves. So much in fact that we borrowed the tune of a very annoying song and made up our own words. It is called, "This is the Road that Doesn't End." Refering, of course, to I-80.
And so our traveling saga ends. But, I couldn't publish this post without adding this little clip of Rebekah full out CRAWLING! She is still kinda slow going, but her form is great! You may see short spurts of her doing her scrunchy silly face a few times in the video as well. Her spunky and silly personality and early sense of humor are coming out more and more. She is now refusing to drink more than 3 ounces of her bottles at a time because she gets bored and prefers table food . . . her favorite being blueberries! She spends her play time crawling after Alex and trying to take his toys, which he is quickly realizing is not that fun for him. He has become a little more possessive of his toys now that she can get them. She can also pull herself up to standing onto short things and has an obsession with anything electronic (I think she learned this from her cousin Hailey) her favorite being my cell phone, the DVD player, and cords. Awesome. Here is my little crawling monster.

12 comments:

JMM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JMM said...

This post made my week. I really miss those crazy kids (and their crazy mommy).

Unknown said...

SO CUTE!!!! I sware Harrison is not going to crawl until he's 1. He'll go from sitting onto his hands but then he'll just get mad and REFUSE to use those chubby little legs of his :) I put stuff in front of him to entice him to crawl and he'll just pull the blanket or whatever over so he can get it...Rebekah is adorable! and such a sweet baby!! I'm glad you guys had a fun trip back--Alex is so cute with his singing too!!

nathan n rachel said...

I completely agree...I-80 NEVER ends!

FM Koppe said...

Soooo cute!

Martin and Taryn said...

Aww, your family is so great! Even on the blog, we can see the love! I hope to meet you someday! Martin talks about how he'd like to see you again and meet the kiddos, we should do that sometime!

Charla and Jarom said...

Wow, I can't believe he learned that song! And he sang it with flippers on and everything :) And you're song, let me just say, was wonderful :) Evan really enjoyed watching the video of Alex, he misses his little buddy. And P.S. about your blog worthy day, I don't know that I would have even stayed at church :) We've all had days like that! You're the Wo-man!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Quite the talented little son (and I'm sure daughter) you have there. You have both done a wonderful job in raising him (them).

Street Fam said...

I wish I had that I-80 song to sing during our travels to and from Iowa. I love it! Enjoy your last year of law school! :)

Dave and Abby said...

I love hearing him sing the Prophet song! And I love it more because you can't understand most of what he says! It's a good thing you're back because our poor little neighbor, Aubrey Justensen, keeps asking "Alex's house?" every time they walk across the hall to my apartment. "No, Abby's house." With a confused look she looks between us, then smiles and she repeats- "Alex's house!" Someone missed you guys.

Sheila said...

Oh my gosh Heidi, first of all, the prophet song...AMAZING! I LOVED IT!! I love that song just for starters, but to see little scubba man doing it!! PRICELESS! And I totally could understand EVERYTHING he said!! He knows ALL THE WORDS!!! And is on tune to top it off. Very cute. Loved the whole post. Love you. Miss you!

Smith Family said...

That is amazing that he knows that song! How fun that you'll be returning here to Arizona! And congrats on the surprise baby!!!!