The Orchard
On the 17th, we finally made it to the hot spot in Iowa City. Wilson's Orchard. It was the perfect day and easily the best day we have ever had together as a family. Cool. Crisp. Sunny. Fall Colors. Seriously and without a doubt THE best hot apple turnovers I have ever had. I could have eaten 12, but settled for splitting two with Joseph. I am still salivating over them and WILL go back before the end of the season to eat at least two more. Where was I? Miles of pretty apple trees. Pumpkin patches. Candy Apples. Tractor Rides. Happy kids. Blissful Kids. Silly Kids. Happy Family. I have found a new love of my life. Apple Orchards.
The Candy Apple. Caramel and mini m&ms. Mmmmmm. 
Rebekah thought the candy apple was irresistable too as she snuck it out of our bag while we were looking up in the apple trees for pretty apples. If you look closely, you will see it all over her mouth and coat. :)

The Flu
And not just any old flu. Oh no. The dreaded H1N1 or better known as Swine Flu. Yes. I had it. Two days after the Orchard I got really sick. It was not fun. We were all pretty much quarantined for an entire week since there is an official pandemic of it in Iowa right now. It seemed everyone was afraid to even come near our front door . . . except my mom. She saved us. She got all doped up on her natural remedies so she couldn't catch it and came for two days so that Joseph could catch up in school and I could rest and we could de-germify our house. I love you mom! I am still pretty tired from it and my cough is still lingering a bit, but I finished the Tamiflu and am sleeping again and am feeling like a new person. Thankfully, no one else in our house caught it. But, since we were all possibly contagious, we had to act as if we had the plague. Here is how we passed the time while stuck inside.
Yes, this is a full size tent in our basement. Joseph's idea. A good one too. It kept the kids entertained for hours . . . and not just because of movies. They loved running in and out of it, etc.
They stared longingly outside while eating goldfish. Poor quarantined kids. 
The Kids
I can rarely do a post without updating on our little ones. I realized I don't take enough pictures of our Rebekah Jane. She seriously cracks me up every day. She is standing alone now and laughs whenever she does. Apparently it is hilarious that she can stand all by herself. She is saying a few words, signing a few words, and her fine motor skills amaze me! Is it a girl thing to grasp these so fast?! Putting lids on. Stacking. Trying to put her socks on. She has a love for her feet and having socks on. Trying to put her hat on. Anything she can put in or take out or stack. She loves it. Here are a few of her latest and greatest shots.

Alex is making my brain hurt . . . in a good way . . . I think. Tonight when I put him to bed it went like this:
Me: "Okay, goodnight. I love you. I will turn your fan on on my way out the door."
A: "No Mommy. I have an idea! I want you to leave the fan off and leave. Then I will cry and make you come back in here and turn it on. Okay?"
Me: "No, that is not okay. You go to bed the first time Alex."
Long story short . . . we had a "family talk" to try to help him understand why we couldn't do his idea and he very begrudgingly went to bed . . . eventually. We have found with him that when he has his mind set, reason doesn't work, neither does compromise or force. What works best with this little man is to encourage him to come up with other ideas until he comes up with one we can all agree on. Then he feels like he is still making a contribution to the house rules I guess. Sometimes he still just ends up angry at us. Aw well, it won't be the last time. :) Here is my boy. Despite the pain he sometimes causes in my brain . . . I am completely head over heals for him.
Yes, that is a real fish in there. This was taken at Mana's house a couple of weeks ago. Herman didn't seem to mind the intrusion of plastic fish, a child's arm, and a toy fishing pole.
And this. Well, I came upstairs and found that he had set aside the normal slice of bread my mom had given him and gotten out instead, the entire rest of the loaf and was chomping on it with joy.
8 comments:
HOLY CRAP! i didnt know you were preggers! parabens menina! voce e uma mae tao especial...nao sei se eu estou pronoto para ter nene numero tres- poor portugues, when you read that cant you hear a horrible english accent! te amo e mil beijos!
Oh Heidi!! Wow! Quite the update! Love the apple orchard pics. I can't believe you had swine flu and I am so glad you caught it and you are okay now. How scary with being prego and all! Okay and I love the tent in the house idea! You are such a great mommy!! And I think I laughed out loud with the whole fishing in the fish bowl pic of Alex! So cute! Miss you tons!!!
Holy smokes! I can't believe you had H1N1! Especially preggo! I'm glad you are getting to the other side. Cute pics of your little fam!
What a great post. I'm so happy that you are feeling better and hopefully able to get out and about. I love the tent idea...so cute, good thinking Pops. Alex just cracks me up Heidi. He's so funny!! What a little smarty pants!
First of all, I love the Orchard, I am jealous. Second, I can't believe that you got the swine flu, that is totally scary and I am glad that you and your family are okay. Rebekah is cute, Alex is a goof! Dan and I laughed out loud at your family conversation, what a smart kid! Oh and I can't believe that Mana and Papa still have Herman, that fish has some pretty superior genes to live that long as a pet goldfish. I love your family, miss you guys!
I can't believe you had the swine flu! I'm so glad you're ok and that nobody else got it! Breck got vaccinated for it a few weeks ago at work since he's a nurse and Sophie and I got the vaccine on Saturday after waiting in line for 3 1/2 hours at Walmart! Thank heavens Breck was there or there is NO WAY I could have waited in line with her that long all by myself! I'm glad you're getting better!
Oh, man!!! How did you cope with the flu while expecting? What a huge trial. You and Joseph are so creative. I love reading the cute updates about your darling kids, and how you approach each new fun phase with a growing boy (same boat). We loved being in the same ward for a short time--hopefully we can do that again sometime!
OH Heidi...SO CRAPPY that you got sick. I'm sorry. On another note, I CANNOT believe that Rebekah is almost a year and is doing all those things! She was still so little when I moved. And I laughed when I read about Alex and the fan because Hallie and I have the same argument almost everynight. She totally does the same thing. Miss you!
Post a Comment