Sunday, November 08, 2009

Testimony

Today was a landmark for Alex. He shared his testimony in Sacrament Meeting for the first time today! For a couple of weeks now he has been going around the house using microphone type things to share his testimony. We would often sneak up and listen to him say things like, "I know the scripture power is truth." "I know the prophet is truth." "I love Jesus." "I love Heavenly Father."

Today was Fast and Testimony Meeting in our ward. This meeting happens once a month in every ward in the world. It is during the hour of a regular sacrament meeting, but instead of assigned speakers from the ward family, any person in the congregation can go up to the podium and share a brief testimony (i.e. their faith and convictions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ).

Anyway, while sitting there, I asked him if he wanted to share his testimony and he enthusiastically said, "Yes! Can I do it at the big microphone?!" So, we waited our turn and went up. He put his mouth right on that microphone and said loudly, "I LOVE JESUS!" It was a bit too loud, so I prompted him to say it a little quieter. The next thing came out in a soft whisper, "I know the prophet is truth." Then, he got it that he could speak in a normal voice and it would still amplify. He kept telling me what he wanted to say, but wouldn't say it until I told him to say what he told me he wanted to say. Silly kid. And so it went . . . "President Monson is our prophet. The scriptures are truth. I love Heavenly Father. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." I then told him it was time to get down and he said loudly in the microphone, "But I want to say more!" He conceded only when I asked please could mommy have a turn now?? :)

I am biased as his mother, but to me it was the cutest darn thing ever. He can't wait to do it again.

I am so grateful today for the gospel of Jesus Christ restored here on earth. Seeing my little guy up there just in the very beginning of learning what a testimony even is, made me very reflective over the blessings that the Gospel gives to me. I do know that we have a living prophet today, namely, Thomas S. Monson. I know that our Father in Heaven has an eternal plan of happiness for all of His children. I know the priesthood has been restored and through it we can participate in the ordinances of the Gospel in the correct manner . . . such as Baptism, Eternal Marriage Sealings, etc. I am grateful for the understanding of the Savior's Atonement and for the peace that it gives me when the world around me is becoming increasingly more and more wicked. Through the Gospel there is hope for a better world, there is hope for our children and their futures, for I know that the Lord will never forsake those that allow Him to guide their lives. I am so eternally grateful for the peace and power that the Book of Mormon and other scriptures give to me. I learn of Christ in these books of scripture and that is essential to living a happy life here on earth and to learning our purpose and divine nature. I love my Savior and my Father in Heaven and hope beyond hope that my testimony can be at least a small seed that I can plant in my children's hearts so that as they grow, they too can come to the knowledge of the truthfulness and pure joy that living a Christ centered life can and will give them.

Thanks for reading. I needed to do this today.

3 comments:

Aggieland Mom said...

Sweet testimonies from you both. I wish we could've been there to hear that from our little boo-boo.

Katie said...

Wow, how neat! Thanks for sharing your testimonies. :)

Sheila said...

How sweet Heidi. Thanks for sharing.