Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Insect Zoo - Oct 1 2010

A couple weeks ago Joseph and I decided to split forces since we couldn't get our entire family out to his brother Jon's wedding. He took Rebekah with him to the wedding in Nauvoo (pictures to come . . . Joseph took a disposable with him since we have one camera and we are waiting for a free moment to go to the store and pick them up).... and I stayed here with Alex and Kaitlyn. Alex was pretty bummed about missing a fun trip to see family and ride on an airplane, so a lady in our ward here watched Kaitlyn for a day while Alex and I went and explored. We spend most of the day at the Insect Zoo which is inside the Museum of Natural History in DC. It was such a blast . . . even if I did have the heeby jeebys the entire time we were looking at the grotesquely large insects.
This is out of order. After we went through the insect zoo part, we went into the part of the museum that has skeletons of every mammal, bird, fish, you can imagine. Super cool. This giant sea turtle was one of Alex's favorites. 

This was also a favorite of his. He thought this was so cool to see how alike we are to apes. :) 

Now when I said I got the heeby jeebies . . . this is what I meant!!  Yes, that is a GIANT COCKROACH! It was all I could do to not scream and run away. Instead I forced myself to say, "Oh cool Alex! That is awesome!" All while I was gritting my teeth and fighting off the urge to smash it with the nearest broom like I used to when I was in Brazil and these would climb on my bed. What I wish I had was a video of him when he was holding it right up to his face and talking to it sweetly, "Ohhhh, aren't you just an adorable little guy..." Seriously. No joke. 

No, I did not zoom in. Yes, it is a gigantic tarantula. We got to see it attack a cricket for its meal. Heeby. Jeebys.
This zoo was so amazing! They had a giant beehive that had an entrance from outside the building and you could sit in the building and watch the bees making honey. They had every sort of huge beetle, butterfly, moth, worm, millipede, scorpion, centipede, bug, creepy crawler you could think of. We loved it. I want to take Rebekah sometime soon!

3 comments:

Christina said...

You are a much nicer mother than me. Nothing on earth could ever convince me to go to an insect museum. I almost threw up just looking at the cockroach. Are you reading this comment, Ben? If our boys are ever into bugs, that's your department.

Aggieland Mom said...

Um, excuse me? Joseph and Bekah-boo were in Nauvoo and didn't come visit US? Or Planter?!! We're all very offended. =)

Sheila said...

Wow, totally sick. I give you mad mom props for not crushing your little guy's love for bugs! SICK!