As we were finishing up dinner tonight, I pounded my cup on the table and said, "Attention. I'd like to call a family council! I have a proposal!"
Rebekah: "A poposal?!"
Mommy: "I think we should sell Walker (our tortoise)."
Rebekah: "Sell Walky!"
Alex: "Nooooooo!! Don't Sell Walker! No Mommy DON'T SELL WALKER! He's MY Tortoise!"
Mommy: "Alex it isn't your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. All of us just didn't learn enough about tortoises and we didn't think about the fact that you just aren't old enough to do everything for him by yourself. So that means I take care of him. I don't want to do it by myself because I am so busy doing other things. And I do love him too Alex and I know you do too, but he isn't happy here. We just don't take very good care of him because we are so busy with babies. So I propose we sell him to someone who can take better care of him."
Alex: "No Mommy! Don't Sell Him!"
Pause
Alex: "Mommy. What does sell mean?"
Hahahaha, we couldn't stop laughing . . . then this was followed by Alex and Rebekah feeding off of each other's energy:
"No Mommy!! Ahhhhhh!!!!! AHhhhhh!!!!"
Pounding on the table. More silly screaming. More pounding. Etc.
Mommy: "Bailiff!!!!!"
Daddy: "Silence in the court or I'll throw you all in jail!"
More pounding and screaming.
Daddy gets up and throws them in "jail."
Eventually it was peaceful again and we did explain to him what sell meant and that perhaps when he is old enough to care for one by himself, then we can get another one. Thankfully, he agreed that it was in Walker's best interest to find a different home. I am actually really sad about the whole thing. I'll miss him. I put him on Craigslist about an hour ago and I already had a response . . . it hurt my heart.
8 comments:
Your family is awesome. I sometimes forget that Tyler doesn't understand the meaning of all the words I use. I hope he finds a good home!
That is very sad.
Of course, on the other hand, we have Elisabeth who regularly begs to trade in her pets, claiming that she is "allergic to fish." Speaking of which, fish are a highly desirable, low-maintenance pet...
Wait, what?? I heard that tortoises are like, the single easiest pets alive! My girlfriend's husband went to the pet store and was SOLD when the salesmen told him the tortoise could live in his backyard on weeds alone for at least a YEAR without any work...of course they keep him in a cute little house with grass and stuff, but still, a year w/o anything but weeds?? My kind of pet! No hair, no mating, no slobber...
Anyways, totally laughing so hard about the pause and then question!! What a cute kid!
I'm glad that Joseph could call court to order.
That is so sad! If I did that there would be no end to the tears. I can't believe you got Alex to agree to that!! Funny dinner table story though.. lol.
Oh that is sad! But cute story though!
What will Harrison show me when I come to pick him up??? I'm sure he will think of something :) I bet when you move to Arizona you can get another one and keep it in the backyard nibbling on random grass and shrubs and what not and won't have to worry about the cage and the heat lamp and all that business-gotta do what ya gotta do!
I remember Walker - I'll always remember him as a good tortoise, one who ate his lettuce and sat in his cage. May he find a good home.
Post a Comment