Friday, October 28, 2011

Mother of the Year

After a very stressful experience at the grocery store with my "darling" three children, Kaitlyn gave me her first big scare. I was finally on my way out of the store and was absolutely in a daze. So, there I went, pushing one of those really cumbersome carts that have extra seating for little ones and not even realizing that Kaitlyn was standing at the far end of the cart looking over the edge. I was heading for the doorway and saw I had to get this beast over the ledge under the automatic door. Simple...I do this every time. : Those ledges are high and not easy to get over with these heavy carts! Well, not even thinking, I muscled it over the ledge....Kaitlyn flipped over, somersaulting in the air and landed flat on her back on the cement just outside of the store. Thankfully, she instantly screamed. It is even worse when they don't make a sound. Also, thankfully, there was a super nice grandma walking by with her grandson who ran to get me some ice and then helped us to the car, unloaded my groceries for me, and helped me secure the kids into the car. She was my angel today. Kaitlyn, so far, seems okay. There must have been other angels there too, because besides a minor cut on her tongue where she bit it, there is not even a bump on her head or a bruise on her body. It seems like she hurts though..... I wish she could tell me. I, however, promptly handed myself the Mother of Year Award with the inscription, "don't take all three kids grocery shopping ever again," written in bold type underneath. I think I'll follow that advice.

And while I'm having a pity party, I might as well mention that I also sliced my thumb this morning while trying to clean some scissors, and that I am so sore from yesterday's kickboxing class that I am walking around like I have just been on a week long horseback riding adventure.

Now my kids are whining. I better go.

6 comments:

Ware Family said...

Been there done that Heidi! I've had my twins fall out of the grocery cart, stroller, and off of almost every surface imaginable. One time I broke my foot and had one on top of the table and the other climbing the window shutters because I couldn't keep up with them, I think they were 2 or almost 2. We've been for stitches, had incidents with the scissors, etc. etc. And that's why there's an almost 4 year gap between the twins and my next!!! You're doing great. Motherhood makes for a lot of funny stories though right?

Lindsey E said...

The neverending "joys" of motherhood! We are all in the mother of the year club, it's a right of passage I think (I've secured my position MANY times). Deep breathe, laugh, smile, kiss your babies, and cry a little, and then do it all over again tomorrow! Love you Heidi!
Lindsey

Sheila said...

Oh heidi, I'm so sorry you experienced that. That angel is such a blessing. I can't take my 3 to the grocery store without totally freaking ot by the end...and then I'm just a grouchy wreak the 1st of the day. It's just not wirh it....I have to keep reminding myself how bad it is in my moment of weakness. You are a great mother.

Tawnya said...

hey, you are the mother of the year because you even attempted to go to the grocery store with three kids. I dread it with only two. Glad Kaitlyn is ok!

Liesl Joy said...

Oh, poor Kaitlyn, and poor you! I'm so glad she's ok and that amazing woman was there to help you! There aren't many people like her around willing to take that kind of time. Whenever I go on shopping trips with just the two little girls I feel like I'm in a daze at the end, not even sure of what I just bought! But, sometimes you just can't avoid it! Love you!

Stephany said...

Grocery shopping is so hard with little ones!