Saturday, October 18, 2008

Not My Baby Anymore

It's official. My boy is growing up and I am totally depressed about it. :o( We decided that with the baby coming in 6 weeks (or less) :o) we needed to get Alex used to his toddler bed before another big and scary transition was thrown into his delicately balanced toddler world.

Last night we made a family party out of putting his fire truck bed in his room and removing the crib. When I first tried to put him down, I didn't think it was going well. He seemed confused. Then after I sang to him for a while, I just said, like we always do, "Give Mommy kisses night night." He gave me his kisses, I tucked him in and I left. We had no more than a little cry out when he bonked his head on the headboard at about 11:00 pm, but we didn't even need to go in there. He just readjusted and went back to sleep. Joseph was nice enough to go and check on him for me to make sure he was okay. I couldn't even fall asleep for how badly I felt just making him grow up all in one night.

But, he woke up this morning at 7:30, like normal, and was as happy as can be. When we came into his room to get him, he hopped off his bed and said, "I sleep in da fire truck!"

As I wrote this, he was napping soundly in his fire truck. I hope this lasts. :o) Why can't he just be my baby forever?

8 comments:

Sheila said...

Ok Heidi...couple of things...

That is the CUTEST bed ever!! I won't even show Justin b/c he'll want one. He's going to be a fireman for Halloween

Where did you get the bedding??? AND curtains...please tell me that you didn't make them. They are SO CUTE!

AND last, I'm SO happy for you that the transition is going so well. And I can totally relate to your feelings of loosing your baby. Loosing the crib is quite an adjustment for us mommies too. Luckily he's taking it so well...honestly, who wouldn't with a bed like that??

Sarah said...

Wow, such a cute boy. Such a cute bed, too.
I'm not jealous about the bedding- I'm jealous that your kid will give you a kiss goodnight!

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

He is so grown up! It is a good thing you are having another little one so you can still have a cute little baby around.

Jules said...

Wow, that's pretty impressive...that he actually stayed in bed. ;) Congrats to you all on a pretty sweet transition! We'll have to see how Olivia does when the time comes for saying adieu to the crib. I hadn't even thought about it yet, but am glad for the reminder, what with our own little bun coming in February.

SamMiller said...

Look up the book "I Love You for Always". It'll make you cry.

Tawnya said...

That is so cute. And let me guess, he likes Thomas?

Smith Family said...

Hi! Samantha Fife just let me know that you guys are headed down here to Mesa and told me to check out your blog! We became friends with them when they were down here. She told me that you're a little nervous! I LOVE it here! Maybe we can get to know each other from our blogs and then meet up when you get here! What do you think? Let me know!
Kimberley Smith

Angela said...

What a cute bed! How can he not want to sleep in it! I'm going to have to get something like that for Shawn when we transition. I know what you mean about the baby thing. I still consider Shawn my little baby even though he outweighs Kayla and defintely is not a baby... but he is.