For me, the recovery from having a second child has been far different from my first . . . emotionally and physically.
Physically - wayyyyyy easier. I am in no pain and I feel relatively great!
Emotionally - Welllllll, before Rebekah came I was worried about how Alex would react. I thought he would have a hard time. Wrong! I am the one who is having hard time giving up my time with him. I am totally stuck on this kid and I have had some serious emotional flip outs over this. :O) I miss my mommy/son time sooooo much, and I have been feeling guilty for not being able to take him outside, to friends houses, to wrestle with him, hold him, etc. whenever I want to. This, in addition to feeling sad that little Rebekah will never get the time and attention that Alex got for the last 2 years. I know I know . . . too much guilt . . . .
Alex, however, with the exception of a few moments here and there, has taken this change with admirable ease. I wonder at this kid. He is so sweet to her and loves her to pieces. He wants to hold her all the time. He likes to share his toys with her and show her his tricks. He is always kissing her and saying things like, "I love her," or "Cute Baby Rebekah Jane," or "I love Rebekah Jane," or "Its okay baby Rebekah."
Soooo, I emailed my mission president's wife (the mother of 11 wonderful children) and told her my woes. This was her email back to me:
"Dear Heidi,
Don't worry, he won't get all the quality time you think he needs, that's just the result of having two very young children. But you are giving him more important things than tons of quality time...you are giving him the pattern of obedient and spiritual living and the protection of the priesthood. Plus a sister!! Each prince and princess you add to your eternal family adds more spirit and power and goodness to the group, even if he or she takes some of your time from Alex. It's O.K. and remember, you need some quality time just for yourself, too."
I share this email and this experience for those who may feel this way now, have felt this way in the past, or may feel this way in the future. This inspired counsel completely changed my attitude about my new life as a mother of two. I feel excited now and I am anxious to see how these two angels in my life grow and develop in the gospel. I am so grateful for inspired examples in my life. I hope this helps someone else, because it sure helped me.
Here are some pictures of the kiddies and some of what we have been up to these last two weeks:
This is the day we brought Rebekah home from the hospital. She seemed happy to be home because she pretty much slept soundly the entire day. Something she couldn't do at the hospital with all the poking and prodding. "Don't bother me, I'm sleeping."
We are pretty sure that all 8 lbs 11 oz of her is in her cheeks, because the rest of her is long and super skinny like her feet. Look how long they are!!
Check out those finger toes! So cute. I love em!
Her duck face. I think she might also be showing off her long (hopefully piano playing) fingers. This is day two home and already so alert. She loves to look around at the world.
11 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing. I can completely relate to how you are feeling about not being able to give Alex all the time and attention you would like. I have had many day when I feel the same way and on the days I am able to spend more time with Isaac I feel that Isabella is being neglected! What wonderful advice you were given thanks again for sharing.
Thank you for your thoughts and for sharing your mission president's wife's advice. I'm sure it will help me in the future!
I love those little long toes, Hailey had the same toes! I also love the duck face! I love you too and I am thrilled beyond belief to come and visit you and your little baby and your big little boy!... (well all of your whole family)! :o)
Heidi she is so beautiful!!! Those feet KILL me!!! and I'm sure you are doing an amazing job managing both kids!!! I can't believe I'm going to be doing this in like three weeks!!!
Great post! We hope Eli does as well with a new sibling as Alex does. Way to have a good attitude.
Heidi, you look amazing and I am glad to hear that things are going better!! It only gets better from here. I love love love the pics of sweet baby Rebekah and Alex! I'm sure he is loving being the big brother and he always will!
Oh my dear sweet Heidi, you are too much for me! I loved what your pres. wife said, and I'm so happy that you wrote her with her with your woes. I couldn't have ever even thought of what to say. I DO know, however (you know, cuz I'm such a pro {wink}) that Alex is going to learn and grow so much in chances to learn then teach his younger siblings all that you gave him those first two years alone. And remember, the Lord blesses us with a larger capacity to love and give with each new spirit that enters our eternal families!! Don't forget too that emotionally those hormones are making you worry/stress more than you really would. LOVE YOU!
CUTE CUTE CUTE pictures!! Rebekah is just perfect!! That face melts my heart!
This reminded of my feelings when I brought Shawn home. I remember one night crying in bed with Christian and he was asking me what was wrong, naming a few things. And finally I said, "I feel like I've lost my best friend." that being Kayla. Those feelings didn't hang around too long and now I feel happier than ever when I see my two angels playing together, helping each other and being the other's little friend. It is definitely a sweet thing to see the love between your children. I loved what your Mission Pres. wife said. It was so touching and will be something that I will remember in the future. Thanks so much for sharing it!!
Thank you for sharing! Very inspiring :) Those pictures are adorable, I love little baby feet. I was with Stacey in CA when we got the call that you had your baby! So exciting. Good luck with everything
Maybe she can just play the piano with her toes!! xoxoxo
Ai que linda a foto do Alex beijando a Rebekah! Muito lindo seus filhos, vocês estão de parabéns! Heidi, amo você! Beijos!
Post a Comment