Monday, November 24, 2008

Rebekah Jane Miller

At 2:01 pm on November 23rd, we were blessed to have Rebekah Jane Miller join our family at long last. She weighed in at 8 lbs. 11 oz. (1 oz. lighter than Alex), and measured 21 1/4 inches long (a little longer than Alex). She currently has brown hair and we think blue eyes (of course) and is gorgeous. Her skin is soft and pink. Her hands and feet are huge, and her fingers and toes are long.

She sticks out her bottom lip just before she gives her little cry, but she doesn't cry often--not even during her shot, glucose checks, and bath. She opened her eyes almost right away and peacefully looked around. When she sleeps she makes little random peeps and wimpers--you can tell I'm already smitten, and I don't think its going to get any better.

And of course . . . pictures!

Here's Heidi enjoying labor--really, an epidural is magical. Having gone natural with Alex, Heidi has a special appreciation for this wonder of medical science:

Joseph in labor? I'm not sure. Maybe this is my reaction to being sidelined as breathing coach by the epidural or the realization that I'm going to be a father of two:

Okay, I know that the following pictures are what you really came to our blog to see:

She was quick to find her thumb:

I know what you're asking . . . yes, she really is this beautiful--no trick photography:

Before baby Rebekah came, we felt like someone was missing. But when she came and Alex was home with Grandma, we felt that our family was incomplete. We both missed Alex a lot yesterday. We were so excited when he came. It was nice that he got to be there before we were even out of the delivery room. We wanted him to be a part of this. These are two of my favorite pictures of the day, because our little family is all together:

At first, Alex didn't know what to do, but he softly stroked her hair and gave her a gentle kiss on the head. Grandma and I are watching Alex's reaction to his new sister:

And of course, Mommy is well and so happy to have Rebekah in her arms and not in her belly anymore. It's easy to see why Rebekah is so beautiful--just look at her mom:

Here's Rebekah awake, well-fed, and happy:

Content after a feeding:

Sleeping peacefully:

So, what does Alex do when Mommy and Daddy are at the hospital? He loves life with Grandma:

For those of you who thought we were going to name the baby Jane Caroline, we were. I don't think that mothers feel this way very often, but Heidi looked at her and felt that we should use another name we'd been considering: Rebekah. The name is Hebrew for "bound," which makes us think of Rebekah of the Old Testament, who was so faithful in keeping her covenants with the Lord and her family. We are keeping the name Jane as a middle name, after Heidi's mom, who is also a wonderful example of the same quality.

Thank you Dr. Hunter, Jen the resident, and Connie the nurse.

38 comments:

Danny said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a beautiful baby! We wish you all the best!

Deanna said...

She is so beautiful! Congratulations on a healthy and safe delivery! We can't wait to meet her! Just let me know when you want your soup and bread. I'm on stand-by. :)

Birding in Iowa said...

We are so excited for you guys. She is so beatiful!!
May each day continue to be sweet and may you always remember the special day.

Erin said...

Look at those cheeks. How do you not kiss them all the time? What a wonderful day! Yes about the mother's looks and Rebekah's--though I suspect that there's some father in her, too! :)

And Heidi went natural with Alex? Whoa. That makes me hurt thinking about it! I'm glad that she "enjoyed" labor more this time around. Haha.

Unknown said...

Rebekah does fit very nicely. What a beautiful baby girl. We are excited to see her and you guys soon.
Dad

Samantha Fife said...

Yay for beautiful baby girls! She is wonderful, and I love the name. COngrats and please let me do something to help you! - Great job!
-Samantha

Anonymous said...

Heavens! I didn't know we were getting a little girl. This is the most exciting news. I remember when we were too shy to date, and here we are married with children. Both babies are so gorgeous. And, I agree, mama is gorgeous too. And - daddy is a handsome guy! What a darling family. I so appreciate being kept in the loop. I love you and wish you the very best. I think with much fondness of our old SHA days. They moved my office last week and as we took down the pictures, etc. I remembered when we surreptiously pounded holes in the walls and hung them - what a good helper I had!!! (smile) -Group hug from Jeannie - So happy for you!!

Rebecca said...

Aw! Congratulations. What a sweet little baby and what a great name you chose!

Edwards Family said...

Congrats! I love the name you chose and she is beautiful! I hope your recovery goes well. Let me know if you need anything! I'm so jealous that you are no longer pregnant!

Katherine said...

WAHOOO!!!! I have seriously been checking the blog like every house to see if it was updated!!!! YAYAYAAY for baby Rebekah!!!!!

Wilson Family said...

Congratulations guys! Little Rebekah is sure beautiful. Heidi, you look amazing and Alex seems so proud to be a big brother! We love you guys!

Smith Family said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I must be baby hungry or something because I cried reading your post!

Unknown said...

She is sooooo cute! I wish I could hold her! Congrats you guys. I already thought you had a beautiful family and it couldn't get anymore beautifulier....but......it just did! We love and miss you sooooo much!

Kelly said...

Yeah!!! Congratulations! She is really beautiful! I'm so happy for you both!!

Christina said...

Glad you picked a name that you felt good about - and I think that how you named her is totally normal. I've had a lot of friends change their minds after a baby was born just because. Happy to hear everyone is well.

Sine family said...

She really is adorable. Love the name. Congrats you guys. Enjoy every minute it just doesn't get better then having a new baby.

Sine family said...

She really is adorable. Love the name. Congrats you guys. Enjoy every minute it just doesn't get better then having a new baby.

Sheila said...

UHHHHHHH!! Oh my gosh, tears!!! SHE IS GORGEOUS!! Heidi...epidural ehe?? A-MAZING HUH!?!?!? Will you ever go back?? Oh my goodness, her face, it's just...perfect!! I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!

Jeff called me during his lunch to say that you had her (I'm so sad I missed the call, stuck here at home with no long distance) BUT THRILLED when I heard you named her Rebekah...like the Bible. I LOVE IT! Rebekah Jane is gorgeous and so meaningful. What a name!!!

I'm so happy for the two of you. Joseph, you really are a hopeless romantic. Those comments are too cute. You're smitten for sure!

Sheila said...

AND HEIDI...you really look Amazing!!

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

I am so excited for you guys. She is so beautiful and I am sure she will be a wonderful addition to your great little family. Congratulations Heid and baby Rebekah. Welcome to the world!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, she is absolutely GORGEOUS. So perfect! Heidi you look just as beautiful. Mommyhood suits you well! I love you and am so happy for you and your perfect little family. When you come north for a visit give me a call, I promise I won't take much time just can't wait to see her (and you)!
Love and much congrats on your newest little blessing!
Lindsey

Jason, Kim, & Kallie said...

I can't get over that BEAUTIFUL little angelic face. Rebekah is the perfect name for her. The Miller family is growing in numbers and beauty! PLEASE let us know when you are feeling up to visitors, we would love to stop by and see her.

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS YOU GUYS!!!! She is SO beautiful!!!! and Heidi I love how awesome and gorgeous and happy you look. YAY for epidurals!! Not that I had any reservations but I am SO getting one!!! I'm so excited to meet little rebekah when you guys come out to AZ!! LOVE YOU!!!!

Oriens said...

Congratulations! She is a beautiful baby and you have such a good looking family! Have a very happy thanksgiving!

Tawnya said...

Congratulations. She really is beautiful and so are you. What a sweet joy and a happy time!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Kari said...

OH Heidi!! She is beautiful!! What a cutie and I love those cheeks! I'm so glad everything went well and that you had your glorious epidural!! Will you ever go back?!! I can't beleive I'm like 2 days late from finding out!! I hope you are recovering well and that Alex is loving his new baby sister too! I love the name Rebekah by the way!! SO precious! Congratulations Heidi...call me whenever you are ready and have time to chat!! I can't wait to hear from you!! love you!! miss you tons!!

Chelsea said...

Whoopie! She is so cute! I can't wait to see her in person. Heidi, please let me know what we can do for you! Rest rest rest! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Heather O'Brien said...

What a cutie! She seriously is so adorable. You look great. And sweet little Alex is so darling. I bet he's such a good big brother. Can't wait to meet little Rebekah. Hope you're doing okay.

Ware Family said...

Congrats Heidi!
You both are beautiful. Watch out, having girls is fun!

Joseph and Rebecca Phillips said...

She is beautiful and so is her name!

Angela said...

She is truly a beautiful little bundle!! Definitely taking after her mommy. And you really do look great, that's not just something we're all saying! Congratulations. I'm sure you're going to SO love having a sweet little girl in your family. Good luck with the first few weeks! =)

Matt and Valerie said...

She is absolutely beautiful!!! I am so happy for you guys. I can't wait to meet this litle angel in person. And I am SOOO happy that the epidural went well - smart girl. :-) Sure love you guys tons and tons!!!
Val

Lisa said...

I am so happy for you and the family! Rebekah is the cutest! I love the picture with her sucking her thumb! how precious! I can't wait to see her!

Lisa

Aggieland Mom said...

Love the pictures of your little family all together! Where did you get Joseph's "Coach" shirt? haha I'm so sad that I can't come over... darn colds! I'll be over as soon as I'm in the clear. Steve was so excited that he got to see Rebekah last night, he was bragging. =)

The Lowmans said...

She is beautiful. Congrats! What a sweet little addition to your already sweet family:) Heidi, you look great. Well done.

Mary Ann said...

She is very adorable! Congratulations!! I love all the pictures!

Sarah said...

Congrats Joe and Heidi, I looked at this the day I got the email and forgot to leave you a note. I hope all is going well! She's beautiful! We're so excited for all of you.

Eric & Sarah

Hilary said...

Parabens! Ela esta linda ja!