Rebekah had surgery today. She got tubes put into both ears. She had her first and only ear infection about 4 months ago, but her little ears were never able to drain the fluid that the infection caused. The fluid then began to slightly impair her hearing, so the ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) Specialist recommended a surgery to remove the fluid and insert tubes into two small incisions in her ears. She will have the tubes for 18 mo to 2 years or so. Maybe more. During this time, no water is allowed in her ears. Soooo, bath time and swimming time will be complicated slightly as she will always have to have waterproof ear plugs in to prevent any water getting in.
How did the surgery go? Well, to those of you who have experienced "bigger" surgeries on your children, you probably think this isn't too big of a deal. The surgery itself really wasn't, but it was still really hard for me to see her in such an intimidating and scary environment.
We went in really early this morning and because she was going to be put under, she couldn't eat or drink. Poor baby. She was so BRAVE and HAPPY though, and wowed the nurses with her smiles and giggles. I could hardly believe it. After a lot of talking and prepping, they had me get in scrubs and wash up and I took her into this huge operating room (my first time ever in one) and had me sit in a chair and hold her in my arms holding her arms tightly against her tummy so she wouldn't grab anything. They placed a little child size gas mask on her and she was so meek about it all. She tensed up and whimpered and cried just a little, then her breathing changed and her body changed and then she suddenly went limp. That whole scene was the hard part for me. I cried. I knew she was afraid. I could tell by her body and her sounds. There is just nothing harder to handle than seeing your child feeling afraid or in pain.
Thankfully, Dr. Kacmarynski (who is amazing) was so sweet and said that she would cry too if it were hers. I then assisted in laying Rebekah on the operating table and left while they did their thing. As I left, I said, "I'm sorry I'm crying, I know it isn't that big of a deal." To which the doc replied, "It is too a big deal. She is your baby." I LOVE good and understanding doctors. Everyone was so great there. I will miss this hospital when we move.
About 45 minutes later, they brought her to me in her recovery room and she was very disoriented and crying for a long time. I finally got her to calm down and drink some juice just before we left about 30 minutes after they brought her to me. Dr. K said that she was very glad that they did the surgery because Rebekah's ears looked pretty bad had even more pussy fluid in them than they had thought. I am grateful for modern medicine.
When we got home, she scarfed down some cereal and was laughing happily at her sweet brother Alex who was doing everything within his power to make her happy. She still has some pain, but it doesn't seem very bad. I am so proud of my sweet girl.
Here she is after getting changed for the surgery. She was dancing on this chair with an empty tummy and an interrupted night of sleep. Love her!
Here we are just before we went into the operating room.
This is right when we got home. Before she ate, she just laid on the floor and sucked her thumb with a sigh of relief. She was tired.
I love you my little Rebekah. You are so brave.
12 comments:
I know EXACTLY how you felt. Laney and Ally both had/have tubes. Your story is very similar to ours and we also have a wonderful doctor! It is very hard to leave your little one in the hands of strangers especially under such strange circumstances. It made a world of difference for both girls! We also found ear plugs at Meyers pharmacy in Waverly that are awesome! You should stop in next time you are there and ask about Docs Proplugs. They aren't the putty ones - which we used for years with Laney, they are kind of fitted so you will have to take Rebekah in to see what size she needs. They are $9 and well worth it. The ear dr in Waverly recommends them I guess (we don't go to her but our friends did). They are nice.
Sorry you had to go through that experience, like I said, I know EXACTLY how you felt, I cried like a baby when I had to leave her in that big sterile room with all those "masked" people! Thankfully my girls don't remember a thing!
Love ya!
Lindsey
Oh man, I can't even imagine watching my baby get put under! And then, like you said, I think of Kara and Morgyn having heart surgery at just a few days old and i just cringe. Glad it all went ok! How's she doing? Have you noticed a difference? Modern medicine is amazing!
AWE...Heidi, that's the sweetest post. What a brave mommy. I have been put under twice and coming out both times I wish I wasn't an adult...I felt like crying both times and think it's the WORST feeling possible. I'm so glad to hear that she's on' the "mend" and was so happy during the process. I am getting worried about Jordan having so many ear infections, but they keep waiting on the tubes b/c he just barely keeps "missing" the 4 month mark or whatever...we're switching doctors to get a 2nd op. Anyways, good luck with no water in there!!! you can do it!
Good job getting through it Heidi!!! I'm so glad you have such a happy baby despite the stressful situation. I'm sure she was happy to see her mommy there for her before and after. I hope the tubes help and this is the only time she needs them. My little brother had them put in NINE times when he was a kid. ICK. She looks so cute in her little baby scrubs by the way :)
I'm so glad everything went well. I agree - it's SO scary to see your baby like that. W had a little surgery last year and it was brutal. Good luck with the water - glad she was so good for you today. Bless that precious little girl!
Atta girl Rebekah! Heidi...I'm not surprised that you cried. I would have too.
i can't believe they wont let you get water in her ears!!! lucy had tubes put in last may and they said we could go on like nothing even happened. that's going to be....awesome. :/ it's cool that they let you go in there with her! you're a brave mommy to do that too. glad that it all went well, she's so tough. ;)
I am glad everything went well. That has got to be a very intimidating experience. Dr. Kackmarynski is wonderful. I'm glad you got to meet her and have her take care of Rebekah. Paul mentioned you had been in clinic the other day, but wasn't sure what for. Hopefully it will help Rebekah feel a lot better!
I am glad everything went well. That has got to be a very intimidating experience. Dr. Kackmarynski is wonderful. I'm glad you got to meet her and have her take care of Rebekah. Paul mentioned you had been in clinic the other day, but wasn't sure what for. Hopefully it will help Rebekah feel a lot better!
What a difficult thing as a mother to see your child go through that! I'm glad everything went well and she was such a champ. What a good little girl. I hope recovery has gone well and she is back to normal soon.
That last little picture is so sad. It makes me want to cuddle her up as she just lays there sucking her little thumb for some comfort after a long morning! What a hard thing to go through, even if it is a "small" thing. Glad she's doing well though. I love all the other posts. I've been bad at looking at blogs lately but I just got caught up! =)
I hope Rebekah is doing well now. I bet you are glad the surgery is over. I probably would've cried too. And I SO miss the hospital and doctors in Iowa. Live it up while you can. j/k. She is so cute.
Post a Comment