Once upon a time there was a mom . . . . This mom was 30 years old and had three children, ages 4, 2, and 1. It was a normal sort of day and this sensible mom said to herself, "In order to lessen the amount of errands we'll need to do when my husband gets back into town, I think I'll take a quick trip with the kids this morning to Costco and pick up 3 things....my photo prints, baby wipes, and a kite." No problem.
They had a smooth morning. The one year old napped. The older two actually listened, played well, and got ready without too much pushing. They were happily out the door on time. When they arrived at Costco it was no surprise that even though it was a Thursday morning at 11 am, the only parking left was at the very end of the parking lot. This mother learned long ago that toooooo many people live in the DC area. Enough said.
This mom got her three children out of the van and they managed to happily and calmly walk up the parking lot towards Costco. About half way up the lot this mom saw a nice woman who had just emptied her cart into her vehicle and said, "May I have your cart? It's likely one of the few that isn't wet." It was raining. She gladly gave it to me along with a comment that now goes in one ear and out the other, "You sure do have your hands full." At least she said it kindly.
As this mom was getting her unusually perfectly behaved children into the big cart, she heard boisterous laughter coming from the exit of Costco. The boisterous laughter was headed her way, so she looked up only to see 4 women, dressed nicely, seemingly educated, and likely in their 40's, actually belly-laughing and pointing AT her and her precious cargo!
"Wow!" she thought. "Are they laughing at us? Really?" These 40 year old women continued closer to this mother and her children, all the while laughing and pointing until finally this mother's conclusion was confirmed when one of the grown women looked at her scornfully and said, "You know, you don't have any room left to buy anything!?" . . . . followed by more boisterous laughter by her comrades.
This mother just stared at them speechless as they passed by her . . . and for that moment, she truly thought she was back in the third grade surrounded by all of her misguided classmates.
Moral of the story: Next time . . . . trip them as they go by.
17 comments:
Wow, that is about all I can say to that... Wow... would have to contain myself if I was there I have not been using the most kind words lately... I wish I was there and when we come out to visit we can throw my kids in the cart and both of us can start snickering and giggling as we trip them as they walk by!
Wow, that is about all I can say to that... Wow... would have to contain myself if I was there I have not been using the most kind words lately... I wish I was there and when we come out to visit we can throw my kids in the cart and both of us can start snickering and giggling as we trip them as they walk by!
Who does that? From the title of the post I thought you were actually going to tell a story from when you were in third grade, but nope, it was a bunch of grown women acting like immature children. I'm so sorry that happened. What is this world coming to?
Are you kidding!? That is so sad for them. You do have awesome cargo!
Obviously that is their way of filling the emptiness in their lives, but tonight they will be sitting in their spacious houses all alone, thinking about you and how they wish they had a third of what you do! JERKS!!!
don't worry at least you don't dress up and go hang out at costco in the middle of the day with your three middle aged friends.
Do you have the same problem I do? Where in the moment you stand there and freeze because things like this don't really happen. Then when you have a chance to reflect, you have 1000 awesome, sassy, snarky little comments to say back to them. But they're gone, so you say them to yourself in the mirror and your husband walks in on you and then makes fun of you for pointing your finger and saying witty, rude things to the mirror? Or is that just me?
Okay, so I knew that people in DC would be a little (okay, maybe a lot) taken aback by you having three little kids and I knew that you'd get a lot of stares, etc. but this... seriously, folks?! Even if you're thinking it, don't say it! And don't laugh until after the fact when you are well out of sight and hearing! Come on!! Good thing I wasn't there... I don't contain my dirty looks very well and they would have been able to read on my face what I thought of them. Considering their maturity level, it might have started a fight in the parking lot, which would have made it even more like recess in third grade!
Have they ever seen a costco cart? You could fit half the state of Nebraska in there! Come move back to Iowa where everybody smiles and makes kissy faces at your babies.
Oh, that makes me want to cry! Those poor women! Missing out on the true purpose of life because they are too busy with the "world" of success and money.
And still knowing that, I still want to trip them too, and then i'd go home and cry...
ps--come back to Iowa, the people here are so kind!
They were just jealous that you could have 3 kids and still have such a gorgeous bod, Heidi! Oh, if only they knew the pure joy they are missing out on. I guess you have truly experienced the mocking fingers of scorn from the "great and spacious building." Stay strong, sister!
I can't believe that happened! I agree with Tawnya, that's sad for them, you do have awesome cargo. I also agree with Stephany, they're jealous that you could look so good with kids. Plus way to have a good day with your kids being calm for so long, that's hard to do.:)
Wow, people need to grow up! Martin and I both work with the public and it is AMAZING what people will do and say! Just keep your chin up cause Heavenly Father knows all that you are doing for those little spirits and He's very pleased. :) But yes...trip them as well.
Jeff and I are laughing histarically at Leisel and Amber's comments, if those didn't make you day I'm not sure anything would!!!
Oh, and Jeff said he would have freakin told them OFF!! I tried to tell him what I told you about giving them the benefit of the doubt and he was like, "YEAH RIGHT! Pointing and laughing? RUDE!" Hahahaaa
Love YOU!!
That happened to me leaving the library a few weeks ago and no one seemed to think it was a big deal except for me! We could have commiserated. Anyway, I love Costco because it is the only place I CAN get all of my kids into the cart.
Post a Comment