Alex is now 4 1/2 years old! Where did the time go? Next to Joseph of course, he is my best little friend. We have intriguing conversations every day and he is my big helper every day. His questions about Jesus and the gospel teach me so much. He is a loving and patient big brother. He adores his sisters (some days more than others) and truly tries to make good choices....I said tries. He is only 4 and sometimes it is just too tempting not to torture Rebekah to get a good scream out of her. :) Right now he has a great passion for RATTLESNAKES, super heros, karate, reading, and drawing. He also likes soccer, baseball, basketball, swimming, and wrestling. He looooooves rattlesnakes and is SO excited to move to Arizona where he hopes we see some Western Diamondback rattlesnakes. Really. I am serious. They are his favorite. I know because he has me draw them for him every day. In fact, he wants so badly to learn to read and tells is this often, but loses motivation after we sit down to practice because it requires so much concentration. We don't push it. However, since he has been asking for a Captain America action figure we decided...hey, let's make a chart. Each day that he practices his reading, he gets a sticker. After two straight weeks of daily practice (without complaint or giving up)...he gets his Captain America. We approached him about it and he wanted to change a couple of things. Instead of stickers on the chart, he wanted me to draw a rattlesnake for each day he practiced. The first time we started seriously learning to read, we wrote a story together about a Knight which we never finished. Instead of finishing that story, he wanted to write a new one about...you guessed it...Rattlesnakes. Lastly, he wanted a toy rattlesnake instead of Captain America. He did so well on his reading today. We wrote two pages. 1) There was a rattlesnake. His name was Alex. 2) He lived in Arizona. He was a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.
He sounded out every word on his own. When we practice, I write a word in blue marker. I then cross out very lightly with a red pen the letters that make no sound. I also use the red pen to connect any letters that make a certain sound when you blend them (like 'th' and 'sh' etc). As he sounds out each word, I underline it. For him, it works.
Anyway...he is still loving going to preschool and told me that he doesn't want to go to school in Arizona unless Mrs. Einhorn can be his teacher. :) It made her feel good. He adores her...and the fact that she is scared of snakes makes it all the more fun for him to bring pictures of them to show her every time he goes. :)
We feel really blessed to have you Alex. |
3 comments:
isn't there a picture of you with some tights or something like that on your head when you were little?? I know I'm not going crazy...
GREAT updates, LOVE the curls and hope they stay too, beautiful! Alex is such a good boy and I love Rebekah's spunk!! And I still can't believe Katy is getting so big, weird to think I could have had one very close to her age. LOVE YOU HEIDI!!
I love all these comments on your precious children! I feel like I know them a little better now. I too LOVE Rebekah's curls, so beautiful! I totally love the running pants with the ballerina skirt! I can't believe you had a hot enough day for the kids to play in the pool! My kids are dying to go swimming! The warmest we've had is about 78.
Sheila, yes there is a picture of Heidi with tights on her head, except she was much older, about 13. It's hilarious!
haha!! Okay I want to see the picture of Heidi at 13 with tights on her head now! That's awesome.
Heidi, I loved this post. Totally feel like I know your cute little kiddos so much better! You are so good at writing things down. LOVE the funny pics! and Rebekah's curls are so pretty...I still haven't cut Madelyn's hair because I'm afraid of cutting off the curls :( they are so fun!!
Miss you Heidi!!
Post a Comment