Sunday, July 31, 2011

13 Again

For the 5th year in a row, we will be moving on our Anniversary. In 2007, it was Chicago to Iowa to start law school...2008, back to Iowa after a summer in Chicago...2009, back to Iowa after a summer in Arizona...2010, moving to DC from Iowa...and now, in 2011, moving to Arizona from DC. In the past, we have just waited until after the fact to celebrate and usually did something pretty simple. I decided this year was going to be different, so we celebrated 2 weeks early.

We found out that Joseph got a huge discount through his work to Six Flags America, here in the DC/Baltimore area. So, my totally amazing, awesome, wonderful sister agreed to take the kids for us. Since Joseph hadn't yet seen Harry Potter, I wanted to take him to that as well.

So, we left the kids with Kim on Friday afternoon, went to dinner at Chevy's, did a little shopping at the hugest outlet mall I have ever seen, and then, like a couple of 13 year old kids, giggled excitedly (well I did) as we went into the theater to see Harry Potter. Yes, it is just as good the second time. Love it. Then we went to a hotel near Six Flags and on Saturday arrived at Six Flags before they opened just GIDDY to run in and be the first one on their scariest ride, The Superman! We did get to be the first ones on the ride, but as we climbed that track, I was practically hyperventilating. :) It has been 10 years since I have been on a roller coaster and I was SUCH a baby this time. I made Joseph talk to me the entire climb up and then just white knuckled it the entire ride. This coaster was SERIOUS. I felt like we were going to fly off the tracks every time we took a dive. ugh. I could hardly stand up when it was over...BUT, the good news was that after that as our starter, every other coaster that day was easy schmeasy. :) Okay, so I still freaked on all of them, but not nearly as much.

All day long, we felt so young and silly. It. was. SO. fun. It was the perfect time too. We both needed that day to just let go and be silly before we got back to the stress of moving across the country with 3 little ones. We feel re-energized and happy.
This was our first stop. Obviously the picture doesn't do the crazy height of the coaster justice. This was Joseph's favorite ride...why? Because he loved how scared I was. :)
The entrance into the Batman ride. This was my favorite ride even though it made me nauseous afterwards. It really felt like you were flying. You were strapped in lying face down. Awesome. 
I don't do rides that just go around and around. They make me super sick. This was a childhood memory ride for Joseph so he had to do it. He is such a kid. :)
While we were waiting in line for the bumper cars, these actors were running around playing cops and robbers. It was awesome. Btw, the bumper cars were my very favorite thing we did that day. I totally kicked Joseph's trash. 

After bumper cars we headed over to one of my other personal favorite roller coasters, the Mind Eraser. You hang off the tracks with your feet dangling. I love this one.

There is the mind eraser just behind us. 
After awhile we headed over to a water ride. I haven't ever been on a log ride that gets every single person in it completely drenched. This is after the fact. We were soaked.

We ONLY took this picture for Alex. Promise. :)
After doing all the rides we wanted to (much more than what is pictured), we took a little time to play a few games and win some things for the kids. It was a blast. We also just HAD to get them super hero capes in Gotham City. Photos to come. :)

We ended the day re-doing a couple of rides we really loved and then grabbing a huge soft pretzel on our way out.

My only regrets: 1) Thinking I was really smart wearing a thin white shirt that would keep me cool....I really wish I had worn long board shorts and a t-shirt that would have kept me cool AND dried fast and not been see through when wet. and 2) Running out of time so we couldn't do the bumper cars one more time. Joseph insists he won. I wanted to prove him wrong. :)

Happy 6 years Joseph! It was fun to be 13 again.

5 comments:

Aggieland Mom said...

So totally adorable and I am so jealous!!!! That sounds like a perfect vacation to me. I LOVE Six Flags. I bet you whopped Joseph's trash on the bumper cars! You go girl.

nathan n rachel said...

I was laughing when I read the superman part. So funny!

Kari said...

How FUN!! I LOVE that you guys did this for your anniversary! Happy early anniversary and good luck with the move! I'm excited for you to move because then I feel like we will be so much closer and maybe even attempt to hook up somehow!!! Miss you!!

JMM said...

Thank you, Honey. You planned a great anniversary. Another thing I loved was sleeping in as long as we wanted. Lots of sleep, a day to act irresponsibly, and you all to myself was bliss.

JMM said...

. . . and I did win at bumper cars!!!