Mt. VernonWe had a great time last weekend and filled the Saturday before Independence Day with a trip to Mt. Vernon with the Browns. It is always fun to spend time with them. We really enjoyed Mt. Vernon as well and would definitely recommend it to anyone coming through town.
 |
| The kids LOVED these huge trees on the way up to the mansion tour. |
 |
| I did say HUGE right? |
 |
| The Brown's were kind enough to watch the kids while we went on the mansion tour. The tour was amazing. The kids look happy. Man...my kids want a dog so bad. Someday....maybe. |
 |
| After the tour and looking out over the Potomac. So pretty! |
 |
| That is the mansion behind us. I tried to convince Joseph that someday when we build a house we NEED one just like George Washington's that has a private wing and a guest wing. Something like 7 guest bedrooms or something is exactly what we need right honey??? |
 |
| Back of the home |
 |
| The rest of the back of the home leading into the kitchen, stables, washhouse, etc. |
 |
| Their freezer. I really like electricity. Life was so hard back then. |
 |
| There are some animals around the plantation to see. Kaitlyn LOVED this fence and all the animals. I think she'll be just like the other two...in love with every animal around. |
 |
| Fuzzy caterpillar. Alex tried his best to spot a snake on our hike that day. No luck. He was disappointed. |
We also got to see George and Martha Washington's tombs, and the slave burial grounds. Both were neat to see and left me thinking a lot. Unfortunately I cannot find the photo Joseph got of the tomb. Ugh! Sorry Joseph.
 |
| We ended the morning with a picnic lunch out in front of the mansion grounds. Thankfully, the lady who scolded us for eating on the grounds didn't come by until we were finishing up. Oops. We didn't know! |
Independence Day
We had a pretty low key 4th this year. It was so nice to spend the day with Kim and her family as well as my mom's side of the family that lives out here.
We spent the night at my sister's house on Sunday night and got up to go crabbing in the morning. Alex has been begging to go ever since the last time. This time we went later in the am and did it off the end of a pier instead of in the boat. No luck. Not even one. Not even a bite. Sad day....but we did play with some minnows.
 |
| Once again, my sis wins "coolest Aunt award." She got Alex and Kayden matching jammies. Um, do ya think they're excited!? :) |
Crabbin'
 |
| Pulling up a trap to check it. Nothin'. |
 |
| Break time for candy. |
 |
| Feeding goldfish to the ducks. Rebekah loooooved this. |
 |
| Justin caught some little minnows in his net. They were fascinated and spent almost the entire rest of the time were there trying to catch more minnows. No luck. |
 |
| What do you do when you are bored? |
Heading out to the BBQ at my Uncle Frank's house:
 |
| The girlies |
 |
| The boys. |
 |
| Kim, again, coolest Aunt, bought these firework snakes on Alex's behalf. I love the look on his face here. |
 |
| Kaitlyn loved them too. A little to much. |
 |
| That's my Uncle Frank setting off those really loud firecrackers. He is so cute. I love my Uncle Frank. |
 |
| Sparklers aren't nearly as cool in the daylight, but the kids still loved them. |
 |
| Rebekah was fascinated. |
 |
| Too cute....and dirty |
 |
| Look Mommy! |
 |
| And Kaitlyn was just ticked that she wasn't allowed to hold a lit sparkler. Go figure. |
 |
| She found her happiness in these rocks. |
 |
And everyone went home covered in ashes, dirt, sand, and food. It was a good day.
|
6 comments:
How fun! How fun you got to be with family!
Looks like you had such a fun fourth!! I can't believe you let Rebekah hold a sparkler...girls are just so much more mature than boys--harrison would have probably burned our house down or tried to eat it :)
Looks like a fabulous 4th! Love seeing how cute your kids are and that they are growing so much!
VERY good day!! Whenever my kids are covered in food and dirt, I know it's been a successful day!! Their outfits and bows are super cute!
You guys had so much fun! I love all the kids Independence day outfits. Kim really is an awesome Aunt! At first I thought the goldfish you were feeding to the ducks were actual little fish and I was totally grossed out looking at this bag of dead fish! Funny! Mt. Vernon looks so neat! I would love to go there some day!
WE LOVE LOVE LOVED Mt. Vernon! That was a highlight when Jeff and I were out there last. But I can't believe you couldn't eat there! GEEZ, stinkin' nazis!!!!
Post a Comment