Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Too Bad We Can't Just Apparate

I was thinking today as I wrote a check for $332.59 to Cermack Automotive that it sure would be nice if we could just apparate everywhere and not have to worry about stupid dumb car repairs. That sure would make life easy and make our bank accounts happier. You see last Friday our car decided that it was tired and old and as I was driving to pick up Joseph from school so that we could go to a BBQ, each thing in the car went out one by one . . . rpm gauge, speedometer, blinkers, radio, windows, etc, etc. We ended up leaving it at the bbq all by its lonesome and hitching a ride home with a friend. Now that it's been all doctored up, we have our little car back home safely in our driveway . . . but I'm still for apparition.

5 comments:

Danny said...

Sorry about the car! And for those of us will small vocabularies, could you clarify what you mean by "apparate" and "apparition?" I looked up the definition(s) online, but definitions like "The first appearance of a star or other celestial body after disappearance or occultation" (OED, Def. 2) don't seem to be what you're getting after. Is this an Iowa-ism?

Jen said...

I would also like to cook like Mrs. Weasly with the wave of a wand... and dishes too.

Heidi Miller said...

Danny .. . don't you read Harry Potter?? To Apparate means to be able to disappear from one location and appear in another in a matter of a second. :o)

Anna said...

Alas, though I maintain the image of knowing about Harry Potter through asking people questions and reading spoilers on the internet, etc., it's times like this which show I haven't actually read Harry Potter. Thanks for the clarification.

Anna said...

that was Danny