8:30 am - 9:00 am: We taught his "dolly" how to go pee pee like a big boy on the potty. He loved this.
9:00 am - 10:00 am: Alex's turn to try. Screaming, crying, hysterically trying to get off the potty while I am physically forcing him to sit on it.
It was time for extreme measures of bribery. I got out a new plastic dinosaur I had gotten him to use as a potty prize and put a little animal cookie in the dinosaurs mouth. This time the dinosaur "told" Alex to sit on the potty like a big boy and that if he did, he would get to play with him and have his cookie. Alex didn't want my help and after about 4 or 5 times of me "threatening" to help him get on the potty, he sat on the potty and continued to sit there until he peed! SUCCESS!!
10:15 am - 11:00 am: 3 Accidents right in a row. :O( Grrrrrrrrr.
11:15 am: "Mommy, I have to go pee pee!!" He went! So Cool!
11:15 am - Present: Accident Free. Dry through the night last night. Pooped on the potty this morning.
The Magic: "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day" by Nathan H. Azrin, Phd and Richard M. Foxx, Phd, Copyright: 1974 (I am sure there is a much much newer version) :o)
Here is a picture of the other part of the magic:
"I'm Focused!": At one point he would not get up from the potty because he wanted to pee in it before he got up. He kept getting distracted and singing songs, etc, so I said, "Alex, you need to focus and go pee pee so you can get up." A little while later, I went back in the bathroom where he was still sitting there and had not peed and I said, "Alex, are you all done going pee pee?" He said, "Mommy, I'm focused. I need finish go pee pee!!"
P.S. For those potty training pessimists out there, I am under no false pretenses that we are completely out of danger zone, but he is going without reminders so well that I can do nothing but have high hopes and be really happy about his progress from hysterical meltdowns to happy success in one day.
More pictures to come of tonight's upcoming Potty Graduation and the handing over of the Potty Diploma. :o)
4 comments:
I am singing the song of jealousy!! If only, if only. Hailey is far from being ready to be potty trained but I can't wait!
Way to go Heidi!! That is so great! What a big boy and I am soooo impressed you got it done in a day! Good luck with it all still because I'm sure it's not quite over that easily. Kali still has her moments...like when I put her in time out and she purposely pees right there on the carpet! AHHH!!
YAY HEIDI!! SUCCESS!! Uhhh, the joys of potty training. We did a potty training in a day book, but it was a little different. You train the doll all morning till nap time (and the doll has accidents etc) and then after naptime it was Justin's turn to open his big boy underwear and at the end of the day we threw away the diapers in the trash!!!
Can't wait for the graduation! HOW FUN and what a cute idea!!
the graduation is SUCH a cute idea--you are an amazing mommy--alex and rebekah are so lucky to have you!!!
Post a Comment