Tuesday, January 20, 2009

RSV, Pneumonia, & Rebekah

All week last week, Rebekah had a bad cold and then it got worse, so last Saturday night we took her into the ER because she was breathing extremely fast, wouldn't eat, and had a temp of 101.6. To make a long story short (since it took two days of going back and forth to and from different diagnoses for them to tell us what was really going on) she was admitted to the pediatric unit at the hospital at 3 am on Sunday and underwent a bunch of tests to rule out the possibility of some other scary things we won't talk about. She was, in the end, diagnosed with RSV (a respiratory virus) and bacterial pneumonia. She spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital and was able to come home with us today!! :o) Though she is still sick, she is eating well, breathing better, and has no temperture. We will continue to give her the antibiotic for the pneumonia for a week, but we also have to monitor her closely for about 8 weeks before she will be all in the clear. The saddest part about seeing her sick now is when she cries. It is this very pitiful scratchy worn out I don't feel good sort of cry.
This was her reaction to having to go to the hospital . . . . okay so it was actually taken a day or so before we went, but isn't that a funny face??
This is her in her mammoth hospital crib all hooked up to an IV and an Oxygen/Heart Monitor. The little snowman in the back is what Alex made for her (with grandma's help). It says, "Get Well Rebekah. Love, Your Brother Alex."
Here is a good view of how exhausted she was after being poked and prodded so much. She was stuck in 4 different places before they finally got a good IV in her little head. So sad looking huh? She also had blood drawn a few times, had a lumbar test (similar to a spinal tap . . scary) and some urine samples taken. We are grateful for thorough doctors, but it was sad to see her go through it all.
Here is a close up of the IV in her head.
And just because I thought this was entertaining. Alex chose his own clothes the other day. Good job huh?? tehe.
For the record, we had a great experience at UIHC. The doctors and nurses were wonderful and we feel soooooo blessed to live so close to such a great hospital. Joseph got to know everyone there a lot better than I did as he stayed there with her the entire time. He is the best husband and father ever!

13 comments:

Samantha Fife said...

Oh Heidi that is so sad! Michaela went through something similar about a year ago and it was SO HARD to see all those tests administered! I am so glad things are going better, if there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ask ok? Jordan can come pick Alex up for a play day one day or something.....!

Sheila said...

I'm so glad that you guys are safe and sound now at home. Take care of my future daughter-in-law...I've got big plans!!

Smith Family said...

Oh my gosh, so so sad! That must have been so hard! I'm so sorry! I'll let you know if I hear about any houses available around here.

Jamie Ortega said...

We are glad to hear that she is now home. I know how hard it can be to watch your baby go through all that. Isaac was six months old when we went through the same thing except Isaac had his IV in his had. Good luck with everything!

Martin and Taryn said...

We are so grateful that she is well! At least, better. She is a gorgeous little girl and lucky you to have a great hospital! What a blessing!

Chelsea said...

Ohhh, you are such a tough mommy! It's so hard to see your child in pain, especially a newborn!

Kari said...

Oh I'm so glad she is feeling better and that you have your baby home safe and sound with you now. What a tough thing to go through with your sweet little baby girl! She is growing and changing sooo much. What a little cutie! Alex is quite the little stud too! love the outfit!

Stephanie said...

Poor baby girl. How scary for you guys. We'll say a prayer for her tonight. Glad things are looking up for her.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad she is at home and okay. So scary to see all of that, i can't imagine. Poor little thing. Hope she is back to perfect in no time. Give her hugs and kisses for me!

Aggieland Mom said...

I am so glad she is home now. That funny face picture is hilarious! HA! Let us know if there is anything else we can do!

Tawnya said...

I am glad everything worked out. That sure sounds like it was a rough couple of days. What a trooper she looks like.

Angela said...

We're thinking and praying for you guys! I hope things just get better from here!

Stacy said...

Hey lil' girlfriend... I feel your pain. What is the dealio with getting poked so many times... I mean c'mon man... just take the blood already! :o) They wanted to check my urine out all the time as well. At least you didn't have to pee in a hat I bet... well not a REAL hat... just a plastic cup thing that fit onto the porcelain throne. That was way fun. Yeah... I feel your pain. You are in my prayers little girly and I hope you return to health and continue to bless your new family here on earth. Hope to see your sweet self and meet your brother soon!

Love, your friend in sickness AND in health...
Stacy